Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Blue vs. Stainless

I've been looking around for a Chief's in 38SP. This will be the nightstand gun. I see the Model 36 is the blued version, while the Model 60 is the stainless version. I'm kinda traditional so I like blued guns. I take pretty good care of my guns, so rust isn't an issue. Is there any other advantage for stainless over blued?

On another line, what would the factory charge me to re-blue a Model 36?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless  
Liked 19,351 Times in 9,442 Posts

Stainless shows less wear to the finish, and I find it a little easier to clean because you can scrub the surface with (for example) a lead removal cloth and not have to worry about removing the bluing. If you will not be carrying the gun you probably won't find a great deal of difference between the 36 and the 60.

Here is the link to the factory website about refinishing; looks like $190.

Precision Gunsmithing - Smith & Wesson
Old 04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless  
Liked 5,762 Times in 1,992 Posts
Talking

If cared for properly a blued gun will hold up for a long time without much bluing loss. However, if the gun is carried lots in a holster the bluing will show wear very quickly where the stainless gun will show less wear. A stainless revolver can also be cleaned up to look almost new and if you like them shiny they can be polished to look almost nickel plated. A lot of forum members have bought police trade in stainless revolvers and with a little elbow grease have them looking like new in no time. Once a blued revolver has bluing loss it can't be made to look right again without being reblued.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Blue vs. Stainless  
Liked 5,458 Times in 1,773 Posts

To me, a much-carried blued gun with normal finish wear DOES "look right". But for those individuals who are bothered by it, stainless is the way to go. They pick up the same wear, but it isn't as visible.

The fact is, though, that many, many blued nightstand guns look brand-new even after decades. As long as it is wiped down now and again to prevent rust, there's just not much wear involved in lying in a drawer.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just picked up a 1969 smith model 10-5 that I believe was a nightstand gun...zero holster wear and negligeable evidence of shooting wear.....it had very light, and fine rust freckling on the backstrap, a little on the topstrap and frame, and on one side of the cylinder. It came off with a little oil and rubbing, leaving only slight discoloration....it tells me the owner wasn't completely thorough in wiping it down periodically and missed spots or went too long? In any event, it looks almost new so there is no reason to fear blue if you will look after it, and yes, it does look classy.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless Blue vs. Stainless  
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

You know those little "gun vaults," the small safes with the spring-mounted doors where you punch in a code and it pops open? I have one of those under a bed with a glock in it.

The bottom is lined with foam stuff, the same kind they put in modern gun cases (that presumably retains moisture).

I wonder if you put a blued revolver in there and left it, whether it would rust more quickly sitting on the foam.

I suppose you could line the bottom with sack-ups material over the foam and eliminate the problem though.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Blue v. Stainless

IMHO and FWIW, carry stainless, collect blue! Either would work for a nightstand gun. In your case $ would probably be the determining factor.
CraigJ
Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Blue vs. Stainless  
Liked 227 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
IMHO and FWIW, carry stainless, collect blue! Either would work for a nightstand gun. In your case $ would probably be the determining factor.
CraigJ
+1 to Craig. I feel the same way.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:27 AM
US Veteran
Liked 43 Times in 17 Posts

I always seemed to prefer blue , but for no real good reson other than it seems , what , normal , traditional ? It is nice to try a different variety once in a while . I never really wanted a stainless until I was given a 686 . They grow on you , a different look . I will get a 66 or 686 first good chance I get .
Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Liked 49 Times in 17 Posts

jg,
Just wonder why you inquired about the reblue?
If you are looking at a 36 for purchsase and it is slightly worn, leaving it the way it is will keep it's value higher than if you reblued it.

Sounds like you are already leaning toward blue since you are attracted to the traditional finish.
Personally, I Iike the look of a revolver that has shown good, honest use.

I don't necessarily agree with the "carry stainless, collect blue" theory.
A little wear adds character to a shooter...and since you are considering this as a nightstand gun, shoot it (practice) you must.

You can't go wrong with either. Purchase the one that reaches out to you.
You know what I mean.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. Your input confirms my choice of blue: I won't be carrying it and, to me, a blued revolver just looks better. It's nice to know that, if I get one that shows a lot of holster wear, $200 will make it right again.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
US Veteran
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a blued Mod 15 I brought back in '64 and carried when I was a reserve cop, and carried it as an agent for a couple of years, It has holster wear but no rust. My solution was to wipe it down whenever it was handled with a silicon rag. Old time but still pracical method to preserve finish. If you are using it as a night stand gun, wipe it down with the silicon rag 3 or 4 times a week for a coupe of months. The silicon gets into the metal pores and then only have to wipe it down less and less. Just my $.02 worth. :-) Fedret

Tags
686, glock, model 10, model 10-5, model 60