Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman  
Liked 258 Times in 54 Posts
Talking Aquired New Hiway Patrolman

Hello,
new to forum. Just purchased a model 28-2 last week.
N-6569 places it in the 1970-72 year range. Can anybody tell me more specifics ie... year maybe?
I detailed stripped it and light grey q-tip residue inside.
Not fired much in its day carried more as by slight muzzle wear on finish from duty style holster.
Shoots great for a 4" at 25 yds.
I traded in a 442-2 that was more of a scatter gun.
I know its more to conceal but my hit ratio confidence is way up now. The 442 was an ATM proximty gun only.
Maybe I got a lame one?
Adam
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman Aquired New Hiway Patrolman  
Liked 205 Times in 33 Posts
Default Like new maybe????

We want to believe you. We really do....But without evidence in the form of a photograph we just have to assume that you, a new poster, is wanting to impress us with the awesomeness of you purchasing what is perhaps the greatest "pure utilitarian tool" that Smith and Wesson ever made.
If you post said pic whenever we see a new thread started by you we will say, "Ah. I remember him, the one whose first post was about the awesome model 28 with that awesome photo. Man...He has such good taste in firearsm."

So how about a photo????
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Yea, pics are a must when bragging.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Default 1st post Beat Down

Thanks for the rapid responses. If I was hanging by my neck I'd definitely want you 2 guys responding.
I have a digital camera but am not camera savvy.
I just joined today and threw a first post up.
I'm glad you both like my recent acquisition.
I'm straight up and have no reason to impress on BS.
That is the serial number and I would love to post a pic when I learn. I have a teenager so it is conceiveable he may help his dad after extorting something from me.
I guess the two responders could not or chose not to provide any specific details.
Thanks and hopefully someone else will provide a little more on this era serial #
Adam
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dont believe it until I see it. Wheres the pics?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,401 Posts

Adam - Welcome to the Forum

We have a lot of Highway Patrolman fans here (I'm a big one myself).
The only way to pin down a better date is with a factory letter and that is $50 from the Company Historian.
I'm jealous with your 4 digit serial number - that is cool ... usually, there are six digits after the "N".
Here is some easy steps for posting pictures - please get to it!

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum-o...tos-forum.html
Old 01-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Absent Comrade
Liked 413 Times in 165 Posts

Adam,
The info I have shows your gun to be in the '72 to '74 group. I have two HPs. One a pre 28 and one a 28. Like them both a great deal! Enjoy!
Dick
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Liked 4,670 Times in 1,055 Posts

Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM

VM,
Thank you for the response.
I will get on the pic end of it.
Tough crowd but I'm not thin skinned either.
Yes it is a 4 digit. The guy at the gun shop I purchased it from had to remove the grips as he was not sure either by looking at the frame w/ the cylinder swung open.
There is also an assy number on the frame under the grips.
Thanks, pics forthwith possibly next week
Adam
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts

Sounds like a sweet gun....give this thread a look, seems to be just what you're looking for: DOB thread for S&W Revolvers - THR
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,213 Times in 741 Posts

congrats and a BIG welcome to the forum...those 28's are the working mans 357mag.and tough as nails...!lots of fans of them here of course
SWCA#2208
KK4EMO
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Liked 205 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Baker View Post
VM,.
I will get on the pic end of it.
Tough crowd but I'm not thin skinned either.

Not really. Just model 28 junkies looking for the next fix. You kind of already had the dates we would have gotten from our Standard Catalog of S & W and we really had nothing to add other than perverse desire of looking at pics of other guys guns.
Speaking for myself, a first time poster that just bought a model 28 and has the SCSW book is someone we want to see hanging out on the forum.
I think what we were trying to do through sterile enviroment of the internet is to give you what are known as "left handed compliments." We try to use the smiley faces to show this but sometimes they fail.

Indy
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Liked 4,670 Times in 1,055 Posts

What Indy said . . . . if you hang around and that's the worst you ever get from this bunch, you'll be doing pretty good !
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks Fred I feel beter already
Adam
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Adam. I know you will enjoy the interaction from a diverse and knowledgable group. The 28 is a great revolver. I can remember in my early police years seeing some officers using them for targets and hammers. They are durable.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum Adam and congratulations on your new purchase! As you can tell by my handle, I'm a big fan of that model.

Tags
442, highway patrolman, model 28, patrolman, scsw, smith and wesson, smith-wessonforum.com