Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Default Grip recommendation please

I have a couple of the 3" square butt model 10's that Bud's sold a few months back. I'm looking for a good grip like the Hogue Bantams I have on my 65-3 round butt. Currently I have PC Magnas on it with a Tyler t-grip. That combo really doesn't compare to the comfort of the Bantams, but I don't think Bantams come in square butt. I have some regular Hogue Monogrips I could try on it, but they seem kind of big for a 3" revolver.

My other option would be to make the model 10 into a round butt. I've never tried it but I know it's been done. I have two of them so I can always keep one original. How much of a sin is it? I've already smoothed the grooves off the trigger face so it's not completely original anymore.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please  
Liked 81,889 Times in 18,494 Posts

Hogue makes square butt nylon grips you could grind down.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 AM

Liked 245 Times in 92 Posts

I like Craig Spegels Boot Grips or the Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek synthetic versions of the Spegel Boot Grips on my K-frame revolvers whether they are square butt or round butt guns.

The synthetic grips are no longer manufactured, but show up pretty often for sale on this site and others.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
US Veteran
Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please  
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

+1 on the uncle mikes !
Old 08-31-2012, 05:10 AM
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

I've got the Uncle Mikes, they are good grips. Other than these, you really don't have a lot of options unless you are willing to spend some money and get some wood grips.

I love Hogues, but like you think they don't fit the aesthetics of these revolvers. My 4" tapered barrel looks out of balance with Hogues, but handles fine. My daughter does not like the finger grooves of the Uncle Mikes and likes the Hogues, so Hogues it is for now.

I have been thinking about this issue for a while now. I like the looks of some wood grips I have seen on the forum, but would like to handle them before plunking down the cash. Herretts will make a pair to fit your hand, their prices start out around $100. With all the grips I have bought, I should have just had them make me a pair and I would have still come out cheaper. I think I have 5 different grips for my square butt K frames, but none are "it".

Everyone has their own opinions as to modifying guns, but the bottom line is that they are yours and you should do as you please. It's hard to find the perfect gun, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

If you do choose to modify/customize/bubba your guns, take your time and do it right, or pay to have it done right.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Liked 3,702 Times in 1,242 Posts

Ahrend's makes some nice compact wood in square butt.

I've had excellent success buying from ebay seller "gripseller". $60 per pair with $5 shipping. I think I've purchased six pairs of Ahrend's from her so far. The nice part is, you see a picture of the exact grip that you will receive.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
SWCA Member
Grip recommendation please Grip recommendation please  
Liked 6,800 Times in 2,651 Posts

Pachmayr still make the open back "professional?" I thought they made it for the square butt K frame. Naturally, you could search for the old Tim Mullin style of grips that Fuzzy Farant used to make for him for the K frame square butt grips. They conceal really well without having to cut the frame. Since Farant is no longer in business, used Farant grips are pretty pricey, but I think Herretts will duplicate anything you find on E-bay so you don't have to damage your collector's item grips if you send the originals. Herretts make some really nice grips of their own design that will serve also serve you well if you cannot find the Mullin style of Farant grip.

I would not cut the grip frames, but that is just me.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 09-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Liked 7,682 Times in 2,744 Posts

i put pachmayr presentation (small size) grips on my S&W model 64-3...3 inch. fills my hand well and they are comfortable.

the small size presentations havent been made in some time, so you will need to search around for them.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks everyone, that does help. I'll keep an eye out for Uncle Mike's or Pachmeyers for a bit. If that doesn't work out I'll go with Spegels. I think I'll hold off on converting it to round butt for a while.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Liked 382 Times in 139 Posts

Uncle Mike's are my grip of choice. Can be hard to find but not impossible.
I have found a few sets here on the Forum Class.
Here are a set on my Model 13-2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1211_edited.jpg (152.1 KB, 29 views)