Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise!  
Liked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Default Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise!

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forums, although I have always had a great respect for the Smith and Wesson firearm.

Here's my dilemma if you can call it that. I am meeting with a gentleman tomorrow, and he has a number of S&W revolvers in terrific condition that he is trying to sell. I am really interested in only two but I will post the others just so you can tell me what you think. Note- he says he has the original boxes for some, but I don't know which ones right now.
The two I am looking at are:
1. A 4" model 67 no dash. Looks to be essentially brand new, everything original, stainless sights, original stocks. asking $450

2. A 6" model 19-4, blued. This one also appears to be near mint. Again, everything looks original and correct. asking $550

The others for sale also look to be in excellent condition-
-model 12-2, 2" nickel. asking $450
-model 14-4, 6" asking $550
-model 15-3, 4" asking $500
What do you think? Do these sound like good prices for good old smiths? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 PM
SWCA Member
Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise! Which to buy? Two great choices- please advise!  
Liked 1,774 Times in 718 Posts

Ben,

If they are really near mint, the two you are interested in are great deals, especially with original boxes.

I would be interested in the 12-2, the others I have enough of.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:27 PM

Thanks! good to hear your thoughts
Old 11-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Liked 29,519 Times in 14,241 Posts

Tough to say. Presence or absence of boxes, paperwork, and implements would make a difference. Prices don't seem bad if they are actually in top condition.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Liked 181 Times in 105 Posts

Both you are interested in are good deals. I'd lean towards the 19-4 if I could only by one. It's pinned and recessed and 357 mag. Try and buy both as you'll never regret a good gun deal! I have that 19 in nickel and enjoy shooting it.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM

I certainly wish I could buy more than 1, although at the moment that is probably my limit. I would consider buying two and selling whichever I liked less...but I don't trust myself to go through with that haha
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Liked 650 Times in 259 Posts

In excellent condition those are fair prices but as usual they would be better if you could get him down $50 on each one you are buying!
Ed
Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 PM

One other thing I had heard is that you need to be careful about which .357's you use in a model 19 as they hotter loads can damage or crack the frame. Anyone have any info on this?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Liked 3,824 Times in 1,348 Posts

As stated above, those prices seem to be quite fair. It's really a great selection from which to choose. Personally, of the two you are most interested, I'd lean toward the Md 67. Seems like an excellent price especially if it's a no dash model with box etc. The Md 19 is priced right too, but I'm not so keen on 6 inch barrels.

If you are looking for a superb .357 and want to shoot it a lot, I'd buy the 67 in .38 spl and then start looking for a Md 686 or 681. On the other hand, negotiate a better deal and buy them both.

Isn't it easy to spend another man's money!

Last edited by loeman; 11-14-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Liked 19,293 Times in 9,421 Posts

Of the two, the model 67 is probably the better deal, but the model 19 is at a fair price also.

The K frame .357s tend to have problems (erosion and cracking of the forcing cone) with use of light/fast bullets, particularly the full 125 gr loads. If you are looking to launch large numbers of these downrange an L or N frame would be a better choice than a model 19.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 PM

Thank you for the info on the 19! That's good to know
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Liked 181 Times in 105 Posts

I like anything 357 because you can shoot 38 if you want to, but I don't. Lol I still vote for the 19. Stainless is easier to maintain on the 67, but I just don't buy 38's...
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

I'd go for the 12-2 and the 67. The nickel 2" 12's are not easy to come by at that price.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 PM
US Veteran
Liked 19,342 Times in 6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
The K frame .357s tend to have problems (erosion and cracking of the forcing cone) with use of light/fast bullets, particularly the full 125 gr loads. If you are looking to launch large numbers of these downrange an L or N frame would be a better choice than a model 19.
Two additional points:
1. Most of the info we have about this indicates that it takes an awful lot of shooting with the light bullets in full house .357 loads to cause the problem. If you only shoot a couple hundred rounds per year, you likely won't encounter the problem.
2. One factor that seems to contribute to the problem is shooting lead bullets and not carefully removing any lead fouling from the forcing cone before shooting the light jacketed bullets in full house .357 loads. This is most likely the culprit in many of the cracked barrels.
Just some thoughts to keep in mind.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Liked 7,135 Times in 2,960 Posts

You should enjoy a 67 if you had it. Mine is a no dash, 1973. Also nobody mentioned the 14. I bought a beautiful 14-3 in August, but it was just over $400. Good luck with your decisions! Bob
Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,222 Posts

Since all seem to be reasonably priced then get then here are various logical arguments to apply:
1. Go purely for the one that tickles your fancy, i.e. get the one you like.
2. If you think you might be or become a collector go for the one that would be hardest to find again - the 12-2 nickel. I haven't run across very many model 67 no dash either.
3. If you want to target shoot or plink for fun the 14-4 or the 19-4 six inch barrel models might have an edge on the others. The 12-2 probably would not be much fun to plink with because of the light frame. 12-2 frames have been known to crack where the barrel inserts into the frame.
4. If you are looking for one to carry - the 12-2.
5. If you fancy nickel, stainless steel, or a blue finish that really narrows it down.
6. If you're looking for the "best deal" then either the 67 and/or the 12-2.
7. Depending on your location and situation, the seller may be very motivated. If so, maybe you can find a way to make a package offer for the whole lot. Maybe they would accept about $75 off each one? Maybe they would accept payments?
On the other hand, depending on your location and the sellers situation, these may all be gone by tomorrow.
John
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Liked 725 Times in 258 Posts

In a heartbeat I'd give $550 for a near mint 19-4 (without a box.)

MB
Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,416 Times in 4,328 Posts

The 19, the 14, and the 15. Probably in that order too!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Liked 2,433 Times in 873 Posts

I would be most interested in the 19 the 15 and the 67. Whichever is the nicest.

Every S&W collection should have a model 19.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Liked 167 Times in 119 Posts

I'd certainly buy the nickel 12-2 if in excellent condition and no crack in the frame under the barrel. For $450, I'd consider that a deal. It's a carry gun, not a range gun, though.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 02:06 AM
US Veteran
Liked 10,655 Times in 3,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAinTX View Post
I'd certainly buy the nickel 12-2 if in excellent condition and no crack in the frame under the barrel. For $450, I'd consider that a deal. It's a carry gun, not a range gun, though.
I would go that way also.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:40 AM

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions! It will be tough to decide haha
Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 26,239 Times in 5,976 Posts
Default I can't believe I am the first to tell you this!

Buy them ALL! Negotiate a package deal with a HUGE discount per revolver.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Liked 7,289 Times in 3,033 Posts

I'm a shooter not a collector so paying more for a gun with a box
doesn't appeal to me. Not a real fan of 19s or 6" barrels on K frames
except the K22. My choice if I could only buy one would be the 67 no
doubt. Seems strange that the 15 is priced higher than the 67 but if
it was as new it would be my second choice.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

I'd go with the 19. And don't worry about cracking the forcing cone. You would need a lot of shooting with the 124gr bullets to do that.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,070 Posts

Normally, when a post begins as yours does my advice would be to buy them both. But in this case, I have to say BUY THEM ALL!!

Bundle the grouping, get a great deal on all the guns and then once you get them home sort through and see which ones you really want to keep and the offer the others up here. I think you would be surprised how quickly they sell, and for how little you will then own the ones you want to keep.

Good luck. Post some pictures!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 PM

I will definitely post some pictures if a deal gets made. I had pretty much decided I was just getting one, but you all may have talked me into trying to do a package deal for two
Old 11-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Well, I met with the gentleman and looked over his guns- all of them pristine and some with the original boxes and papers. It turns out, someone had apparently offered him $550 for the 67, so he wouldn't sell it alone for the $450 in his ad, which was a little disappointing. However he said he would drop the price if I also purchased the 12-2 for the original $450. I considered walking away, but the fact that both came with their original boxes and looked essentially brand new (he thought the 67 had never been fired) I decided to spring for both of them. Pictures to follow! Any additional info you may have based in the serial numbers would be great to hear!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Liked 7,135 Times in 2,960 Posts

Great job! looking forward to the pics. Bob
Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 PM

The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM

The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Liked 644 Times in 379 Posts

you did good.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Liked 6,257 Times in 1,585 Posts

Did you pick these up from Faron in Temple Texas? His guns are all in great shape. Like someone said if you coukd get 50 bucks off his prices these woukd make great deals. At his asking price they are fair.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts

I was going to say bundle them. I'm late.
I was going to say grab the nickel and bundle it. I'm too late.

You did awesome. I go for the nickel first. There offering less and less in nickel finish. Pretty soon no more blue. My dealer told me we will only see the stainless finish being offered someday. Nickel finish rocks.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post
Did you pick these up from Faron in Temple Texas? His guns are all in great shape. Like someone said if you coukd get 50 bucks off his prices these woukd make great deals. At his asking price they are fair.
It was a purchase from Faron- I wasn't able to negotiate a bundle price, but I still think the prices were fair
Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Why haven't you sold a kidney yet???
Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Liked 623 Times in 133 Posts

I sold both of them to Faron about 1 1/2 years ago for a much higher price. You got a good deal on them.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Liked 606 Times in 385 Posts

Good choices. The M12 is my favorite carry piece in 38 Special.