Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-11-2024, 01:11 AM
Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality??  
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
Default Rebluing/cost quality??

Say I wanted to get an early 70’s 27-2 re blued.
Polish out a couple of scratches etc.

What kind of $$ am I looking at?

Who would do the best job getting it to the best shiny blued finish?

Cost to get it looking pristine again if possible?
Cost to get it looking pretty darn good?

I have no experience whatsoever with this so any info on re-bluing, cost/quality and who does a great job/excellent job/budget job?

Thanks for all and any help.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 01:26 AM
Rebluing/cost quality??  
Liked 709 Times in 246 Posts
Default Ford’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model29-26.5 View Post
Say I wanted to get an early 70’s 27-2 re blued.
Polish out a couple of scratches etc.

What kind of $$ am I looking at?

Who would do the best job getting it to the best shiny blued finish?

Cost to get it looking pretty darn good?

I have no experience whatsoever with this so any info on re-bluing, cost/quality and who does a great job/excellent job/budget job?

Thanks for all and any help.
Google Ford’s Gun Refinishing.
Best,
Gary
Old 05-11-2024, 02:05 AM
Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality??  
Liked 4,923 Times in 1,565 Posts

Be VERY careful how you decide to proceed!

-It would be a good idea to use the search tool on this forum to investigate the experiences of other members. The S&W Forum is one of your best research and education resources!

-Ask yourself if you really need to have a refinish done? It’s not like a leaky water pipe in your basement, or worn brakes in your car, that can cause further damage or other risks if left unattended. Sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone!

-Educate yourself on the telltale signs that discerning collectors use to identify refinish work. Once you have acquired an eye for things like softened edges, dished screw holes, flat surfaces that are no longer flat, faded rollmarks, ruined mating of formerly close fitting parts, etc, you may come to the conclusion that a refinish is worse than a damaged original finish, especially if the damage is just honest wear.

-Keep in mind that finish work of any nature, in any medium, using any technique is all about surface preparation. That preparation is labor intensive with an extremely high level of required skill. In the firearms world, far too often the substitute is heavy polishing using bench mounted buffers and an aggressive touch. The best methods, and the slowest and most expensive, are strictly by hand.
Busy shops will use the former method, quickly getting off the old finish and making things shiney. For them, time is money. The result is an irreversibly defaced gun and the insult of having to pay a stiff pricetag for the job. (Cough, Ford’s gun refinishing , cough…search this forum. You’ve been warned.)
Conversely, the latter method (careful hand work) will possibly cost you even more than the original purchase price of the gun.

-A refinish invariably devalues the gun. So, keep in mind you’ll be paying money to make your gun worth less money. Sometimes, if you just can’t live with the existing condition of your gun, the best advice, especially if it is a fairly common gun like a 1970s model 27-2, is to sell the one you have and add the extra money to get the one you want.
The amount of money spent pursuing this path will often be much less than any money spent on a refinish. Plus, you’ll own an honest high condition gun that you’ll be happier with, and at the same time, yield a better return on your investment.

Last edited by 6string; 05-11-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:52 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,127 Times in 3,720 Posts

6string speaks with straight tongue!

THE BEST use of your money is to sell the gun you're fretting over, and buy a better one. Is that the lowest net cost path? Maybe, maybe not; but it's guarandamnteed to be the one with NO risk----and guarandamnteed to get you a gun that makes you happy.

There was a time when the factory refinished guns. The quality of their refinish was exactly the same as the quality of regular production---and the cost was lunch money. Those times are gone to the best of my knowledge. So too there was a time when Fords turned out absolutely exquisite work. That time was when the prep work was done by hand.

There are most certainly shops that CAN turn out top quality work, but there are NO guarantees.

Me? I like guarantees.

I've had two guns refinished (from Satin blue to Bright Blue)---both by the factory. I KNEW exactly what I was going to get---and I got it. That was then, and now is now. Now the only guarantee comes with getting a gun that makes you happy before you pay for it.

The bottom line is there are NO do-overs for a poorly refinished gun---it is what it is-----and it can only get worse.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 05-11-2024 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,988 Times in 4,100 Posts

Here is a recent thread that might interest you.

She's Back!

It seems to be a success story.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2024, 07:11 AM
Liked 12,012 Times in 5,446 Posts

Ultimately, it's your gun and you can do with it whatever you want, but just know that refinishing will reduce the value of your Model 27-2.

S&W's current bluing is far from what your Model 27-2 received. Your Model 27-2 was blued using the Carbonia oil blue system. S&W's current blue is not blue, but is black and does not withstand solvents that contain ammonia as well as their pre-2000 black oxide or Carbonia blue finishes.

How about posting some pictures so we can see the condition of your 27-2.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:55 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,462 Times in 806 Posts

To my knowledge there is only one company out there (Turnbull's) that does what I would consider to be manufacturer-grade refinishes. But I'm not sure that they're accepting Smith & Wessons for work, and even if they did the cost would almost certainly be in the four figures and would exceed the value of the gun.

I've yet to see a refinishing job from Ford's that didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Ford's is to gun refinishing what Maaco is to automotive paint work.

Long story short: having your 27-2 refinished will diminish its value, and you'll almost certainly regret it down the road.

Mike
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:31 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 15,338 Times in 3,664 Posts

Ok, since no one answered your original question, here is a pricelist from Glenrock Blue. We have seen an example of their work done on a gun belonging to Wiregrassguy.

SWCA #2906, SWHF #760
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 10:27 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,448 Times in 2,824 Posts

Quote:

That's the catch, doesn't matter how much you spend, it will never look "pristine" again. Maybe "good enough," maybe "ok" but never "pristine" as when it came out of the factory. I've had several refinished, always a disappointment.

rct269 has the best solution, sell it, buy one in the condition you want.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 10:47 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post

She's Back!

Kevin
THIS is INDEED a SUCCESS story-----IF indeed the prep work was done via Bead Blasting instead of polishing--as is the prevailing wisdom.

Bead blasting is as close to idiot proof as you're going to get when it comes to prepping for a finish---and it's not so much a matter of knowledge, skill, and experience as is polishing, but the opportunity to do it over again if deemed necessary. A bead blasted finish is dependent upon media, media size, line pressure, angle of attack and the distance from the nozzle. Given the desire to alter the results, one can simply alter one or more of the variables, and have at it again.

My experience with bead blasting is limited to cleaning engine parts (which is a far cry from prepping for a finish), but I've messed around with it enough to know achieving/altering results is always an option---and options are your friend.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 05-11-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,462 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post
That's the catch, doesn't matter how much you spend, it will never look "pristine" again. Maybe "good enough," maybe "ok" but never "pristine" as when it came out of the factory. I've had several refinished, always a disappointment.
Even if the person having the restoration done doesn't feel disappointment, there will inevitably be disappointment down the line when the gun's next owner realizes that it's a refinished gun and not original.

A ton of guns over the years have been refinished because they "weren't anything special." It may not be special now, but 50 years from now it'll be an absolute treasure. Why ruin it for those people?

Mike
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 11:45 AM
Liked 23,113 Times in 3,260 Posts

Sent this to Ford's couple years back.
About $450-500 then not sure now.
Very pleased.

The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:17 PM
Liked 5,900 Times in 838 Posts

There's been more than one thread of late about over buffing, etc. coming from Ford's.

I'm with the previous posts...live with it or trade up. Don't destroy the originality.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:15 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 425 Times in 183 Posts

My view is that reblue is equivalent to sporterizing a military rifle. You spend the time and money to reduce its value and destroy its original character. A poor practice in my opinion.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
Ultimately, it's your gun and you can do with it whatever you want, but just know that refinishing will reduce the value of your Model 27-2.

S&W's current bluing is far from what your Model 27-2 received. Your Model 27-2 was blued using the Carbonia oil blue system. S&W's current blue is not blue, but is black and does not withstand solvents that contain ammonia as well as their pre-2000 black oxide or Carbonia blue finishes.

How about posting some pictures so we can see the condition of your 27-2.
Just a moment...

Really not bad at all, and a little cold blue helped.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Liked 29,495 Times in 14,228 Posts

I am not an advocate of refinishing guns. I consider it a waste of money that accomplishes nothing. As earlier said, you are paying a lot just to to de-value your gun. I have refinished a great many guns myself that badly needed it, usually by bead blasting, but that didn't cost me much to do as I have access to everything required. No way would I ever pay the stupidly extreme prices Fords, etc., charge.

Last edited by DWalt; 05-11-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:12 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-model View Post
To my knowledge there is only one company out there (Turnbull's) that does what I would consider to be manufacturer-grade refinishes. But I'm not sure that they're accepting Smith & Wessons for work, and even if they did the cost would almost certainly be in the four figures and would exceed the value of the gun.

I've yet to see a refinishing job from Ford's that didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Ford's is to gun refinishing what Maaco is to automotive paint work.

Long story short: having your 27-2 refinished will diminish its value, and you'll almost certainly regret it down the road.

Mike
Turnbulls is, beyond any doubt, THE KING of all the restoration folks (including the refinishers who call themselves restorors). Turnbulls is also not accepting S&W's for such work. I say "not accepting", that knowledge is OLD----years old. If they've altered their position, that's something I don't know about. The reason they don't mess with S&W's is they're in business to make money, and doing restoration/refinishing work on S&W's (hand ejectors) is a losing proposition---unless they charge accordingly---in which case nobody would be sending in S&W's to begin with.

The problem with S&W's is the myriad different surfaces with which they must contend. The factory contends (or at least they did) with this situation with A BUNCH of hard leather polishing wheels---each contoured to a specific surface (or combination of surfaces) on each and every (H.E.) product they have/ever had. I can only imagine the investment they've made in polishing wheels---fair boggles the mind!!

The only alternative available to those who would turn out factory quality work is to polish by hand---and that brings us into the realm of "This is serious business---bring money!" That said, the results are worth it----most especially when compared to those who make do with lesser equipment.

Ralph Tremaine
Old 05-12-2024, 08:08 AM
Liked 12,012 Times in 5,446 Posts

Quote:
Just a moment...

Really not bad at all, and a little cold blue helped.

Perhaps you could post some pics of your cold blue touch up? Given the depth of the scratches on the side plate, the corrosion on the frame, restoration could run $600-$700. So you could easily end up putting over $1000 into a revolver that will be worth $800. I'd stick with cold blue and keep it well oiled or waxed and enjoy it as a shooter grade Model 27.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:29 AM
Liked 5,634 Times in 2,033 Posts

It’s a 27-2. It’s like worrying about the value of a 1984 Ford Taurus. WHO CARES!!!!!! We don’t know circumstances of how OP acquired the gun. If he wants to reblue it, I say have at it. All this talk about values every time this topic comes up is nonsense. I’ve had guns reblued. And I’m happy with them when they’re done. Guys were talking about $100s of dollars here. Not 10s of thousands.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:27 AM
Liked 4,403 Times in 1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald1 View Post
It’s a 27-2. It’s like worrying about the value of a 1984 Ford Taurus. WHO CARES!!!!!! We don’t know circumstances of how OP acquired the gun. If he wants to reblue it, I say have at it. All this talk about values every time this topic comes up is nonsense. I’ve had guns reblued. And I’m happy with them when they’re done. Guys were talking about $100s of dollars here. Not 10s of thousands.
I don't think that I would lump 27-2s into the category of an '84 Ford Taurus! Early '70s versions are extremely well made and finished. The OP didn't provide any info or pictures of his revolver (s/n, bbl. length, etc.)...but it could easily be a $1500+ handgun. Scratches and dings and dents are subjective, so that's also a question. How deeply or badly scratched is the finish? Is the finish worn and/or does it have rust pits? If the finish just shows normal use, most of us would tend to leave it alone and enjoy its history and patina. If you want a NIB unfired collectable- spend the money and buy one. A refinished revolver will never have the same appeal or value. However, as others have said, it's Model29-26.5's revolver and he can do what he likes with it.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:50 AM

Liked 5,174 Times in 1,584 Posts

I agree with the detractors of refinished guns. Most of mine are high grade shooters, not perfect, but never to be refinished by me. I like the patina of guns that have aged gracefully. The model 28-2 pictured here is perfect with its imperfections (to me, anyway). As I am reducing my collection, this one will probably not go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231005_101914.jpg (178.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20231005_101902.jpg (173.4 KB, 29 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 10:05 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,865 Times in 425 Posts
Default Since the OP is here seeking council …

He got plenty
There is a link a few posts up to view auction
He’s also posted it here before about a month or 2 back
It’s well used and has the wear and scars of a well used gun. The finish looks original and stocks are numbered. 6” barrel w/rr front sight.

I definitely agree with advice NOT to refinish
Although op seems to want to move forward

Ive refinished and restored my share

OP expressed desire to have it pristine and asked about costs. I agree it’s best to just find a better condition gun. But it is op’s gun and money…
If he wants a shiny refinished gun it’s his choice to make

Last edited by mchom; 05-12-2024 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-12-2024, 10:46 AM
Liked 12,485 Times in 1,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-model View Post

Mike

I spoke to Doug Turnbull at the Southern Side by Side Exposition about two years ago. He said that he DOES NOT re-finish/restore S&W revolvers. He said its due to the potential for damaging them in the polishing process.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:55 AM
Liked 12,485 Times in 1,920 Posts

About 12 years ago I bought a 3.5 inch 27-2 for a very good price. The gun was an old law enforcement gun that had the typical "lot of carry, little firing." It had no rust, no dings or scratches. The issue was the finish was extremely holster worn.

As I had little in it, I sent it to S&W for a refinish. They called me and said that it required no polishing at all. They only stripped the finish and re-blued it. As said above it is not the original S&W blue.

Here's a photo to show the new bluing.

Old 05-12-2024, 06:03 PM
Rebluing/cost quality?? Rebluing/cost quality??  
Liked 4,889 Times in 1,401 Posts

Had a client, who lived a couple of houses away. He is a master engraver who does work for Colt and other firearms manufacturers. I asked him who he sent firearms, with an emphasis on revolvers, to for refinishing.

He responded, without hesitation, Wyoming Armory in Cody, Wyoming. I personally have not used their services but, their work looks very nice.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:48 PM
Liked 1,143 Times in 306 Posts

I had the chrome/nickel stripped off of a 28-2 and the reblued by Fords. They did a great job, not cheap and not quick but the work was great. Cost about $550 if I remember correctly. They color case hardened the trigger and hammer and that added to the cost considerably.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:44 AM
Liked 2,829 Times in 663 Posts

I know that refinishing revolvers is a controversial topic. My original duty revolver was a Model 581. During a divorce, I sold it to a co-worker. Years later, I got it back. Don’t know if he kept it in a tool box or what? It was dinged up and rusty. Not the way I like to keep my revolvers. I had a now retired Gunsmith in FL refinish it. I couldn’t have been happier. So, if you want to refinish your revolver, I say go for it…
Rebluing/cost quality??-img_0885-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0885.jpg (129.1 KB, 133 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCCPHD View Post
About 12 years ago I bought a 3.5 inch 27-2 for a very good price. The gun was an old law enforcement gun that had the typical "lot of carry, little firing." It had no rust, no dings or scratches. The issue was the finish was extremely holster worn.

As I had little in it, I sent it to S&W for a refinish. They called me and said that it required no polishing at all. They only stripped the finish and re-blued it. As said above it is not the original S&W blue.

Here's a photo to show the new bluing.

That looks top notch.
What was the cost?
Thanks
Old 05-13-2024, 09:50 PM
Rebluing/cost quality??  
Liked 26,061 Times in 8,783 Posts

I have only had 2 guns refinished over the 50 years I have been in the hobby. Both were long guns and I sent them both to Mid West Gunworks in Pevely MO. The reason I did this is that both were my Dad's guns and no matter how many times I oiled them, touched them up and cleaned off the rust, it quickly returned - that bothered me! Since they will NEVER be for sale in my lifetime, I was not concerned about collectors value. Hopefully my Son will enjoy them when I pass them down.

Mid West Gunworks did an EXCELLENT job! They did them both in about 8-9 weeks if I recall and although I can not remember off hand what they charged me, I can tell you it was very reasonable at the time. The polishing and bluing they did was as good and probably better than the factory did! Both of these reblued long guns are still in incredible condition and I NEVER regretted doing them.

I do not know wether or not they do pistols and revolvers but a quick look at their website or a quick telephone call will let you know. I did both of these guns over around 15 -16 years ago and have recommended friends to them over the years. Whatever work they have done that I have personally seen has come out spectacular. I can not vouch for what they are currently doing, but all I can do is tell you what I have personally experienced and seen. Just another source to consider and compare.

These guns were both sentimental to me (family heirlooms if you will) and I did not put a monetary value on them for my decision. Today, refinishing a revolver or pistol may just not pay - again, unless it is a family heirloom, expensive piece, or just sentimental to the owner. As far as devaluing a guns worth, I believe that most of the time it isn't applicable and matters not! This is simply because most gun owners and buyers I know want nice looking guns and are not "true collectors" anyway. They would rather have a beautifully looking gun then pay a lot of money for a "rat" even though it may well be original. The true collector would probably not buy a refinished gun, but there are not that many "true collectors" around much anymore. Just the same as a person buying a used car would rather buy a nice looking rust free car than an original rotted and rusted one - again, unless he is a true collector or restorer / car collector. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by chief38; 05-13-2024 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:41 PM
Liked 331 Times in 42 Posts

My 25-2 from Ford's
Old 05-14-2024, 01:05 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,403 Times in 4,323 Posts

Well, since everyone else is adding their thoughts, here are mine: If you're dead set on refinishing the gun, consider employing the skills of a master engraver. That's about the only way a refinish will ever get close to your money back. Not gonna be cheap, but you would have a showpiece that might even grow in value over the years. Plus, it would truly be Your gun!
Old 05-14-2024, 06:24 PM
Liked 312 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post

She's Back!

Kevin
As I stated in that post, it's not a Ford's or Turnbull, but I'm quite happy with it.
If anyone is interested, the work was done by Bullseye Bluing. They don't have a website - just a Facebook page and phone number - 706-565-0009. It's just a two man shop, but they've been bluing since 1981. They prefer you to bring/send the whole firearm, so there's no surprises. They typically charge $200 for the matte and $230 for a high polish, but that can vary depending on the condition of the piece.

They are also a full service gunsmith. They noticed that the yoke on the 19 was tweaked a little, so they straightened it out for a very, very modest cost and made sure the timing was perfect.

Last edited by mrcabinet2122; 05-14-2024 at 06:32 PM. Reason: addition