Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-15-2024, 10:51 AM
SWCA Member
Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks?  
Liked 12,467 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks?

This 17-3 is for sale on a regional forum board and is a couple hundred miles from me so I can't handle it. There is just this one picture but it shows non-relieved no diamond K frame target stocks. I thought all K frame targets without diamonds would have football cutouts or the full speed loader cuts. These look big enough to be N frame stocks too but the same question would apply I think even if N. Am I simply overlooking something I should remember or are these quite unusual?

Jeff
SWCA #1457

Last edited by 22hipower; 05-15-2024 at 02:08 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:02 AM
Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks?  
Liked 34,549 Times in 8,137 Posts

I'd say that's a factory error. You can't modify a set of target stocks that has an extractor relief cut or a speedloader cut and make it look like that (without adding wood).

I'm sure grip collectors would find them very interesting.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Liked 19,296 Times in 9,421 Posts

The photo is at an odd angle to see the top of the left panel, but someone might have shaved the panel down to the depth of the extractor cutout? It does look a little “full” so maybe not.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:11 AM
US Veteran
Liked 20,511 Times in 4,654 Posts

Modified post 1968 N targets on a K frame? I'm not sure why anyone would go to all that trouble.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:18 AM
Liked 8,369 Times in 2,951 Posts

Pretty neat,
My guess is the guy working the stock machine that day heard the 5 O'clock bell and really wanted to get home....Close enough ...ITS FRIIIIDAY!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:36 PM
Liked 34,549 Times in 8,137 Posts

These are K frame non-diamond football targets:

These are the stocks the OP posted:

They're not modified.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wchad View Post

They're not modified.
Thanks. Maybe the guy in the stockmaking shop was in a hurry Friday night to get to his son's...football game.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 02:06 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wchad View Post

They're not modified.
That is my assessment too. If they were closer I'd go buy the gun ($700) just to get the stocks. If anyone is close to San Angelo, Texas and interested I can tell you how to find it.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
Old 05-15-2024, 02:55 PM
US Veteran
Liked 9,988 Times in 2,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post
If anyone is close to San Angelo, Texas and interested I can tell you how to find it.
It's about a seven hour drive for me, but the deal itself looks doable......Ben
Old 05-15-2024, 04:27 PM
SWCA Chairman

Liked 30,873 Times in 4,418 Posts

Rare and unusual stocks certainly exist. Two pairs of coke bottle stocks without the relieved area and one pair of non-diamond targets without the relieved area (N-frame).

Bill

Old 05-20-2024, 07:08 PM
SWCA Member
Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks? Non-Relieved No Diamond K Frame Target Stocks?  
Liked 2,687 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default Stock questions please...

It is interesting that I found this thread regarding stocks today...a friend and I were discussing stocks and a couple of questions came up that I hope someone here can help us out with answers please...regarding K frame target stocks are the ones with the "football" cut out older than the ones with speedloader cut out? Regarding value would the "football" cut outs be worth more than the speedloader cut out variety? Thanking you in advance for any answers...Roger
Old 05-20-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharman View Post
It is interesting that I found this thread regarding stocks today...a friend and I were discussing stocks and a couple of questions came up that I hope someone here can help us out with answers please...regarding K frame target stocks are the ones with the "football" cut out older than the ones with speedloader cut out? Regarding value would the "football" cut outs be worth more than the speedloader cut out variety? Thanking you in advance for any answers...Roger
The extractor/"football" cutout style dates back to the mid-1950s, and the speedloader to the early-mid 1980s.

You'll find much more price variation within the earlier style (wood type, smooth vs. checkered, and obviously the "Special Oversized Target/Coke") than the later style, which in my observations appear to not have much variation.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:35 PM
Liked 224 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharman View Post
...Regarding value would the "football" cut outs be worth more than the speedloader cut out variety? Thanking you in advance for any answers...Roger
As a general rule, the football cut stocks do command a premium over the newer style speedloader cut stocks.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:31 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,123 Times in 353 Posts

Speaking of K frame non-relieved target stocks, a 17-2 (circa 1965 SN) I bought a couple years back came mounted with this set of diamond targets. I've been told they were used by S&W prior to when model numbers came into effect and they normally didn't put serial numbers on them when factory installed (mine have no SN).
Would S&W still have these laying around in 1965 to use on a 17-2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220318_222456.jpg (111.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20220318_222420.jpg (108.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20220318_222755.jpg (68.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pix010069821.jpg (174.4 KB, 23 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 10:03 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC(SS)Ret View Post
Speaking of K frame non-relieved target stocks, a 17-2 (circa 1965 SN) I bought a couple years back came mounted with this set of diamond targets. I've been told they were used by S&W prior to when model numbers came into effect and they normally didn't put serial numbers on them when factory installed (mine have no SN).
Would S&W still have these laying around in 1965 to use on a 17-2?
Never say never with S&W, but it is highly unlikely any of those non-relieved diamond targets from the early ‘50s would still be found at the factory by the time they were building 17-2s. Someone liked them and put them on the 17-2. They’re my favorite K frame stocks so I would put them on a favorite K22 of most any production year.

Jeff
SWCA #1457

Last edited by 22hipower; 05-20-2024 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:06 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,123 Times in 353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22hipower View Post
Never say never with S&W, but it is highly unlikely any of those non-relieved diamond targets from the early ‘50s would still be found at the factory by the time they were building 17-2s. Someone liked them and put them on the 17-2. They’re my favorite K frame stocks so I would put them on a favorite K22 of most any production year.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
I do like them a lot although I was thinking about trying to find some period correct Magna's to get the original appearance. I've heard the non-relieved diamond targets have some value though.