Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM
AMMO TALK AMMO TALK AMMO TALK AMMO TALK AMMO TALK  
Liked 108 Times in 54 Posts

you guys are so lucky, i just bought 1000 rounds (10 boxes) of Minimag for $95,00 (which still isnt much for Dutch standards)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I'll be danged!!! I went to my local Wally World to pick up something, stopped at the ammo case, and lo and behold - Federal 550 Bulk Pak red box! I have never seen it there before, and it's sure not listed on their web site. I bought the 2 boxes remaining and am looking forward to trying it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I shot mine for the first time today. Shot 555 rounds of the Winchester 555. Accuracy with those was really good. I had maybe 2 FTE and 4 ftf out of the whole box. I can live with that!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Best ammo for my 15-22!!!

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-19...mmunition.aspx

Ran about 10 boxes of this great ammo through my rifle and only had i failure to feed, and i re-chambered it and it fired. Stuff is super accurate and i never have problems with it. Its only $14.95 at my local walmart. If you guys can find it give it a try, you wont be sorry.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Oh, nice. That price isn't bad. Have yet to shoot "match" stuff.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav View Post
Oh, nice. That price isn't bad. Have yet to shoot "match" stuff.
Saw it one day looking for the 550 fed bulk pack and it was sitting next to it on sale for $13.95, so i bought 3 packs. Asked the sporting goods guy and he said they just started carrying it because that store sells so much ammo. Match ammo is great esp since it says on the box "ideal for semi-autos."
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

yea i saw that Fed AutoMatch stuff too, but for $2.50 more i get 225 more rounds out of the Fed 550 and the difference in accuracy is hardly noticeable.

at any rate no matter what you are shooting it's satisfying to know that you can shoot 1000rnds down range and get tons of practice and fun in for less than $50
Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXRandall View Post
yea i saw that Fed AutoMatch stuff too, but for $2.50 more i get 225 more rounds out of the Fed 550 and the difference in accuracy is hardly noticeable.

at any rate no matter what you are shooting it's satisfying to know that you can shoot 1000rnds down range and get tons of practice and fun in for less than $50
and tons of practice for $50 total, cost of ammo, rang fees, and gas to and from the range. Now thats what i'm talking about!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacheese View Post
I've only seen the 550 and the 525 bulk, the boxes are slightly different. I think the non walmart ones are federal champion 525. Every store I've ever shopped had the same federal bulk 525 in the blue box(online or in person). I generally get them at cabelas 4 boxes and a free ammo can for $80. Use the ones on cabelas as a reference for the packaging you want.
i wish i had a Cabelas Store closer than 4 hours away! But when i got to visit the Fam i will have to make a detour and pick up a few cans! Thanks for the tip!

I found out that between that 525 Federal and Winchester Wildcats i had zero feed issues and a single FTF all evening yesterday--And my Walther P22 hated both! silly lil pop gun thinks its a primadonna!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

the walther was a major disappointment here as well. it was real finicky about ammo, stupid umarex gun. i was pumped about the M&P 22 pistol until i found out that umarex was making that one too. i went with the kadet kit for my cz 75 instead, it works like a freaking charm.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

Keep an eye out for shipping deals. $150 is a lot to throw down for ammo, but its worth it for cheap or free shipping. I tend to do that beacuase its cheaper than gas. Also keep an eye on gander mountain... they ship free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbulladdikt View Post
i wish i had a Cabelas Store closer than 4 hours away! But when i got to visit the Fam i will have to make a detour and pick up a few cans! Thanks for the tip!

I found out that between that 525 Federal and Winchester Wildcats i had zero feed issues and a single FTF all evening yesterday--And my Walther P22 hated both! silly lil pop gun thinks its a primadonna!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default m-22 Winchester

The dick's spoting goods by my house has it in stock about $50 for the 1000 round box. Is this really any better than the cci Tactical ( cost aside)?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 PM

i like the stuff. worst i've had with them is maybe 2-3 out of a couple thousand that didn't fire. they have much less lube on them which may help with feeding as the cci tend to have a lot on them. for the price i may like them a little better than the cci even. it's too bad i have to have them shipped. i'll check out dick's cause that would be awesome to get them locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone97 View Post
The dick's spoting goods by my house has it in stock about $50 for the 1000 round box. Is this really any better than the cci Tactical ( cost aside)?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default CCI and Federal more than likely the same

so I guess this is old news to many folks but it was news to me. I haven't shot either of these brands in almost 15years until i picked up my 15-22s. I've mostly shot PMC and Hornady through my weapons up until this point...but yea both the federal and cci brands are owned by the same company(ATK). it would not surprise me if they were made in the same factory.

Back on topic though.

I knew after opening and handling several boxes of both brands that something was fishy! The dang things looked the same, they felt the same, and they sure as hell seemed to shoot the same.

Fed550 = CCI MM?
Fed Lightning = CCI Blazer?

sure appears that way to me anyways. just one more reason to buy those feds at any given opportunity.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
so I guess this is old news to many folks but it was news to me. I haven't shot either of these brands in almost 15years until i picked up my 15-22s. I've mostly shot PMC and Hornady through my weapons up until this point...but yea both the federal and cci brands are owned by the same company(ATK). it would not surprise me if they were made in the same factory.

Back on topic though.

I knew after opening and handling several boxes of both brands that something was fishy! The dang things looked the same, they felt the same, and they sure as hell seemed to shoot the same.

Fed550 = CCI MM?
Fed Lightning = CCI Blazer?

sure appears that way to me anyways. just one more reason to buy those feds at any given opportunity.
Shoot the federal junk and then shoot the CCI mini mags and you will see a difference.

Chad
Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just old you that's exactly what i did. In the 15-22 the difference if there even is any is not even perceptible. I would save your money and buy the Federal 550 or the Federal Lightning when you are able to as I'm pretty positive it's the same stuff. I'm going to have a buddy of mine who is a CCI snob come out with me next time i go to the range and do a blind ammo test and see if he can tell the difference just by shooting them.

If you dump 50 round of Fed 550 and 50 rounds of CCI MM out on a table i doubt you would be able to seperate the 2 without looking at the headstamp.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
I just old you that's exactly what i did. In the 15-22 the difference if there even is any is not even perceptible. I would save your money and buy the Federal 550 or the Federal Lightning when you are able to as I'm pretty positive it's the same stuff. I'm going to have a buddy of mine who is a CCI snob come out with me next time i go to the range and do a blind ammo test and see if he can tell the difference just by shooting them.

If you dump 50 round of Fed 550 and 50 rounds of CCI MM out on a table i doubt you would be able to seperate the 2 without looking at the headstamp.
CCI MM has a pretty obvious additional coating of wax on them compared to the Fed 550. I also find the quality of the brass on the CCI MM to be slightly better and more polished. Whether that's a good or bad thing really depends on your rifle. I also can smell a difference when firing between the two, but then I'm weird and have a really sensitive nose when it comes to smells .

Of course none of the above really matters; you and your friend should blind test for group size fired at a set distance on a benchrest with both your rifles rather than just him just guessing what round he's shooting.

As for me, the last time I ran Federal I wasn't having a good time with all the FTF and FTE's I was getting. It's been 99.9% reliable with all the CCI variants (MM, Std, Blazer) however and that's what I'm going to stick as my main round. I might give another Fed bulk pack a shot as my rifle's much much more broken in now.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

ok well i guess this is a debate that could go on forever. just wanted to put down some observations. like i said when i popped open a new box of the Fed Lightning and a newly Purchased box of the CCI Blazer they were the exact same; same dark color RN bullet; same slick casing; same print on the paper. take it for what it's worth to you i guess.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
ok well i guess this is a debate that could go on forever. just wanted to put down some observations. like i said when i popped open a new box of the Fed Lightning and a newly Purchased box of the CCI Blazer they were the exact same; same dark color RN bullet; same slick casing; same print on the paper. take it for what it's worth to you i guess.
True about the debate. I do not care how they look next to each other, for "me" the CCI shoots a lot tighter groups then the federal. I know a lot have noticed the same. The federal did shoot fine with only a couple of FTE's/FTF's but the groups were horrible for me.

Chad
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just took my 15-22 out to the range for the first time yesterday, worked flawlessly and was a complete blast to shoot. As for ammo, I was using a mix of Federal 550 and Winchester 555, both of which worked great. After 300 rounds for the day only had one FTF which might have been due to a magazine issue.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have noticed no difference between the Federal and the CCI ammo--both have been accurate and reasonably reliable

The Winchester M22 is also very reliable though a little pricey when not on sale

I havent had terrible luck with the Winchester 555 either--i know most folks on here arent big fans but so far the only ammo that has been terrible in the 15-22 is the Remington Gold Bullet--GARBAGE--

Also sold off my Walther P22--too picky about ammo and magazines are impossible to find!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginingOfTheEnd View Post
The first ammo I tried (fed 525 bulk, 36 grain hp) had 0 problems so I have stuck with it and been reluctant to try anything else. Better groups would be minimal as with these I'm getting groups no larger than 5", but mostly 3".
If smaller groups are needed you should switch to a standard velocity ammo like CCI-SV. Because .22LR bullets are not very aerodynamic they will get buffeted around if these slugs leave they barrel going supersonic (about 1120 FPS) as they are falling back thru the SB from above. In all the ammo tests I've seen done at 50/75/100 yards the top grouping ammo holding at least the 8-15 tops spots have always been Eley or Lapua match grade ammo (rated 1050-1070 FPS) and the first cheaper ammo has always been CCI-SV in those tests. If you don't need groupings as small as .162 at 50 yards then you don't need to do what top rimfire target shooters do.
For tactical guns needing accuracy enough for steel competition out to 75 yards or so I usually use CCI-MM 40g for reliable ignition with a few others being close enough to use most of the time. I use that exclusively in competition with my pistols due to my suppliers recommendations.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts

I have been using CCI ammo in my 15/22 with good performance, but I would like to try some other flavors just for the hell of it. I have my eye on the Federal Premium Champ Target AM22 or the Federal Premium Champ Target 510, both are 40 gr. solid nose bullets. Has anyone used this ammo in their 15/22's? If so, how good are they? Any FTF or FTE? Have a chance to buy some in bulk at a decent price.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

remembered that the first page says do not use any and all subsonics. thought i'd throw in my two cents that the CCI subsonic hollowpoints have been nothing but wonderful. if you can find them.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like the cci blazers and the federal ae22. the champions (blue bulk pack) are more unreliable and give worse groupings.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone tell me what the difference is in the different CCI ammo they have (Blazer, SV, Tactical, Mini Mag...) I use Blazer and love the stuff, plus it's only $20 for the bulk 525 box.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD562 View Post
Can someone tell me what the difference is in the different CCI ammo they have (Blazer, SV, Tactical, Mini Mag...) I use Blazer and love the stuff, plus it's only $20 for the bulk 525 box.

CCI Ammunition - View All CCI Loads
Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Phil
Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Liked 106 Times in 37 Posts

Thanks Phil, I loved the CCI data. Blazer is made by CCI but marketed as it's own brand so it is not on those charts. Here is the link to the Blazer data;

Blazer - Rimfire ammo

And, if you go to the home page there is an explaination of why it is an economy round.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little late to the party, but thought I'd share my experiences thus far for comparison.

100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag with no problems

325 rounds of CCI AR Tactical, 15 of these rounds nosed up prior to getting into the chamber and resulted in deforming the bullet and case, rendering them unusable

300 rounds of Federal 550 bulk pack with no problems

200 Round of Federal AutoMatch with no problems

And finally, 10 rounds of Federal CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) packaged lead round nosed bullets. The cases of these rounds are extremely dirty, and I didn't hold much hope for them. To that end they didn't disappoint. They would jam both extracting and feeding; the 5 or so that did manage to find their way into the chamber fired fine, but after 10 rounds I gave up. These rounds are relegated to the Winchester Model 61 & 68 as it is.

Will hopefully be able to try some of the M-22 ammo soon. However, for now the Federal Bulk seems to be the winner for my gun.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Kind of a shame that the "AR Tactical" doesn't work all that well in the gun it was tested with haha.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Liked 164 Times in 103 Posts

I've run over 600 rounds of the CCI AR with no problems at all.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Nicee. I can't buy this CCI AR stuff because I can get CCI Blazer cheaper than I can this. Plus comes with, what, 200+ more rounds.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default AR Tactical

I find it strange too that the AR Tactical has been having issues in some folks guns. In looking at it next standard Federal bulk pack I can't find anything that would account for the propensity to have failure to feed issues.

Having said that I was pleased with its performance when it did feed.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM

i think it's an issue with people bending them accidentally while loading in a hurry. i seem to have no problems when i inspect each round and load them carefully. if you push on them just right while loading they will bend going into the mag, and not feed up the ramp properly. i have noticed that it only seems to affect some boxes.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts

Winchester M22 blows. Jams every 5 rounds or so in my 15-22.
Federal 550 for bulk blasting and Federal Auto Match for accuracy
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Default AMMO TALK

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderrick65 View Post
I have been using CCI ammo in my 15/22 with good performance, but I would like to try some other flavors just for the hell of it. I have my eye on the Federal Premium Champ Target AM22 or the Federal Premium Champ Target 510, both are 40 gr. solid nose bullets. Has anyone used this ammo in their 15/22's? If so, how good are they? Any FTF or FTE? Have a chance to buy some in bulk at a decent price.
[up date] I recently tried a box of bulk Winchester 555 rds. CPHP 36 gr. and they gave me nothing but trouble. Out of 150 rds. fired, had 15 miss fires, of the remaining shells, 130 had loose lead tips (bullets). I contacted Winchester cust. serv. & explained the problems with this ammo & they were very helpfull
in rectifying the problem. Within two days UPS picked up the package with the remaining unused ammo & returned it to Winchester. Will be watiing to see what happens from here.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Guess I'll have to chime in. Winchester 36 gr. copper plated hollow points work just about flawlessly in my 15-22. They also give me the best accuracy of the rounds I've tried. I can shoot 3 shot groups at 50 yds. that are under 1/2 inch.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln370 View Post
Winchester M22 blows. Jams every 5 rounds or so in my 15-22.
Federal 550 for bulk blasting and Federal Auto Match for accuracy
I have about 500 rounds of M-22 through mine with zero issues. That said, it performs about the same as the Federal Bulk at Wally World which is cheaper, so I can't see myself paying for more.

If I need top quality ammo that I have tested and price isn't a concern, I will be going with CCI Stinger and/or CCI Velocitor. Both have good performance and good accuracy from my 15-22 and 15-22P.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM

So bummed I had only 120 or so rounds left in my bulk box of CCI Blazer at the range =/ Went to the shop afterwards and bought a box of CCI Blazer 500 pack(I've always gotten 525 packs) for a solid $15! I love .22lr so much and also a box of this Federal match for $17:

Have never shot "match" ammo before. CCI mini-mags and Blazer have been plenty accurate for me but I'm always up to try new ammo. Wish it were 500 or so pack but no worries.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Default AMMO TALK

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderrick65 View Post
[up date] I recently tried a box of bulk Winchester 555 rds. CPHP 36 gr. and they gave me nothing but trouble. Out of 150 rds. fired, had 15 miss fires, of the remaining shells, 130 had loose lead tips (bullets). I contacted Winchester cust. serv. & explained the problems with this ammo & they were very helpfull
in rectifying the problem. Within two days UPS picked up the package with the remaining unused ammo & returned it to Winchester. Will be watiing to see what happens from here.
Here is the latest on the Winchester .22 ammo. On Thurs. the 17th. I received a letter from Winchester stateing that they could not find any problems with the ammo that was returned (I think they were BS-ing me) anyhow, also included with the letter were two certificates worth $30 towards the purchase of more ammo Can't feel bad about that
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Remington Golden Bullet

That's just great, I have 3 550 boxes of Golden Bullets
Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 AM

Damn..haha. I tried my cousin's Remington gold when I was having problems with my brand new rifle since I wouldn't be surprised if I had another failure. Each shot, probably not as accurate as Blazer or some other CCI but they worked.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One or two boxes a week, should get me a good stock. 5 hrs till I pick up my 15-22
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Aguila SSS 60 grain? I know it said no subsonic rounds but Aguila claims its great for AR convertion kits. Just thought it might be close.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They keyhole. They are ment to be used with a different barrel twist.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is that bad for the barrel or just bad accuracy? I'm going to invest in the fed 555 boxes. I'm just wondering cause they sell them at my LGS where I'm picking up my 15-22 in an hour. Can't wait!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Wow! Academy Sports has lost their mind! Black Friday Sale - Federal 550 - $18.50! Headed to Wally World! for $13.99! I don't understand why Academy is so much higher on .22lr ammo and can call it a sale. Didn't even bother asking how much it is at regular price.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I asked my buddy to pick me up some .22 ammo and he got rem golden bullet 550 pack. I went shooting with it this morning and I had one ftf. My only real complaint is that they're reallly dirty. The side of the bolt where the shell pops out was black (you don't even want to know about the front)
Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default Just A Heads Up

Will These Work?
https://www.cabelas.com/user/registe...13%26addTo%3D2

Tags
223, 22lr, 650, cabelas, cartridge, ejector, extractor, marksmanship, mp15, performance center, remington, rimfire, savage, scope, sig arms, sile, silencer, smith-wessonforum.com, subsonic, suppressor, tactical, titanium, walther, wildcat, winchester