Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians  
Liked 263 Times in 143 Posts
Default A question for Californians

Okay, so because of my chosen profession, there stands a good chance I'll end up in California at some point. I know the gun laws are nuts there especially when it comes to black guns. Granted the 15-22 is not considered an assault rifle in California. My question is about owning a rifle (15-22 or a california legal AR) in cities like San Francisco or L.A.. Is it legal to own one in those cities?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

A 15-22 is legal to import into California.

A California legal AR-15 type rifle is also legally importable from out of state. All other categories of "assault weapons" unless previously registered in California are not legal to import and can not be registered.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians A question for Californians  

Quote:
Originally Posted by john traveler View Post
A 15-22 is legal to import into California.

A California legal AR-15 type rifle is also legally importable from out of state. All other categories of "assault weapons" unless previously registered in California are not legal to import and can not be registered.
Right. What about San Francisco specifically? I know the city is extremely anti gun, but I know the city's attempts at an all out gun ban have been defeated. It's just that all the info I am finding only concerns CCW handguns. I can't seem to find any info on possessing a rifle within city limits.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Ca. gun laws

As much as the city of San Francisco would like to change it, State laws apply. There are no gun laws specific to San Francisco.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 AM
A question for Californians  
Liked 828 Times in 236 Posts

Load up your truck with N-frame revolvers as well ! (perfectly legal for you to register here once you arrive)
I can give you a suggested list !

They are as good as gold coins !

Jerry
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

REMEMBER, here in the PRK, your evil if you have more than 10 rounds in the magazine. So start looking for mag blocks, etc. But I here if you break down the magazine into it's component parts, well then it's can be construed as a repair kit. Also go over to the calguns forum, you'll find lots of good info there as well.

PS: I know a good FFL in SoCal if you need one.

Last edited by Mickey3Gun; 08-22-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: PS added
Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes it is legal to own one in those cities. But there is one strict restriction they have in LA (I don't know about SF) that you cannot buy ammo online if you live within the actual city limits. But your 15-22 is good, the only thing you have to worry about is your magazine capacity. If you have 10rd mags, you're fine. If they're 25rd mags, you MUST disassemble them before your you enter the state (unless you are LEO) otherwise it's a felony. Oh, and you CANNOT reassemble them while it the state of CA.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD562 View Post
Yes it is legal to own one in those cities. But there is one strict restriction they have in LA (I don't know about SF) that you cannot buy ammo online if you live within the actual city limits. But your 15-22 is good, the only thing you have to worry about is your magazine capacity. If you have 10rd mags, you're fine. If they're 25rd mags, you MUST disassemble them before your you enter the state (unless you are LEO) otherwise it's a felony. Oh, and you CANNOT reassemble them while it the state of CA.
How about bringing ammo in when you move? And do the guns have to come with me in my initial move or can I import them at a later date?

All my stuff is NY AWB compliant, so no mags over 10rnds, on my AR it has a fixed Bushmaster AWB carbine style stock w/ rifle length buffer tube, pinned and welded YHM comp. No bayonet lug and I have a Raddlock bullet button on order.

I realize I may have to contact the CA DOJ but I thought I'd ask fellow forum members first. Thank you for all your responses and help with this.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Liked 81 Times in 49 Posts

Yes, California has tough laws, but there are ways that are legal to get around them. You can have an AR15 5.56 or .223, you just have to have a bullet button. Now for magazines, they have to be limited to only 10rounds (can't get away from that). The only item on an AR that needs lic. with a 10 day wait is the lower reciever, that's it. The rest of the rifle upper receiver, stock, barrel can be purchases on line and sent to your home. When combined, just have a bullet button and 10 max. mags and you have yourself a California Legal AR15. Good luck.. Now for the M&P 15/22 since it is a RIM FIRE, Rim fires are not considered an assault rifle, so the bullet button does not apply, but the 10 rd mag. does.. So you can have your cake and eat it too, it's just a smaller slice, and someone is watching you eat it... Enjoy and welcome to Commifornia..

Last edited by Aceman58; 10-27-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman58 View Post
Yes, California has tough laws, but there are ways that are legal to get around them. You can have an AR15 5.56 or .223, you just have to have a bullet button. Now for magazines, they have to be limited to only 10rounds (can't get away from that). The only item on an AR that needs lic. with a 10 day wait is the lower reciever, that's it. The rest of the rifle upper receiver, stock, barrel can be purchases on line and sent to your home. When combined, just have a bullet button and 10 max. mags and you have yourself a California Legal AR15. Good luck
Thanks Aceman! My AR is NY legal, which means the only two features are the pistol grip and the detachable magazine. In NY we can have two evil features instead of one. I put a bullet button on it so it should be fine for California. All my mags are 10 round.

As far as importing my firearms, is it something I have to do when I physically move, or can I import them after I get there? I'd imagine I'd then need to use an FFL if I were having them sent after the move....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stay the hell away from San Francisco. It has been taken over and occupied by the enemy. If you have to work there find a place outside of the City to live.

Don in Oakland.

Also a City that has been taken over and occupied. And I'm not talking about the OWS boneheads.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

here is a flow chart, follow it and see if your rifle is legal.

( Link to other forum ) phil

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-09-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I don't want to go against the forum rules here but join that forum, OP. They will help keep you legal, great community shoots, etc.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do any of you guys know why S &W only sells one model of the 15-22 in california?.They have other 10 round models listed on the website (performance center, MOE) but only the basic model is listed as California approved.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Liked 90 Times in 50 Posts

Thanks guys!!! I try to learn something new every day.
Never knew what a bullet button was until today.

No thank you!!! Nope don't want one!!!

Today was election day. Did you vote???

Did you vote for people, who will then vote too stop these stuipd laws???

That is what a Republic does.
So if you are into this OWS stuff. Shift your target. The House and Senate need be front and center.

I better just shut up!!! I think I hear the PC Police pulling up out the door, and I have my 15-22 in my den cleaning it.

Vote!!!

Guy22

Last edited by guy22; 11-08-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

stock up on 10-round mags!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddalvarez View Post
Do any of you guys know why S &W only sells one model of the 15-22 in california?.They have other 10 round models listed on the website (performance center, MOE) but only the basic model is listed as California approved.
I bought the MOE in a shop in Southern California. If they don't have the PC model or whatever your looking for, I think you could just buy it from a shop online and transfer it to an FFL(as long as they send it with a 10 round mag or no mag at all). The MOE is pretty popular so that's probably why you don't see it in store.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default +1 For On-line or Auction Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jav View Post
I bought the MOE in a shop in Southern California. If they don't have the PC model or whatever your looking for, I think you could just buy it from a shop online and transfer it to an FFL(as long as they send it with a 10 round mag or no mag at all). The MOE is pretty popular so that's probably why you don't see it in store.
+1 S&W is supposedly backlogged with 15-22 orders for all models.

Make sure they do not ship it to your local FFL with ANYTHING BUT A 10 ROUND MAGAZINE or as earlier stated no magazine at all. (Unless your FFL is a Class 3 dealer.) They are required to login the magazine's they receive with any rifle (EBR or not). That's what I did.

If your in SoCal, LA/OC area, PM me if you need a reliable FFL recommendation.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Liked 81 Times in 49 Posts

My take on the "California Compliant" is the manufactures attempt to tailor the AR for that states laws. For California, get a Bullet Button which makes the AR a non-assault weapon. But since the laws were written naming some manufactures specific make and model, they will always be illegal untill removed or amended. Most AR's come with a high cap mag, for "CC" states, they offer that states mag limitations, in Calif. case, 10 rounders (some just 10 and others offer 10/25, a high cap mag which is modified to only hold 10 and can never be un-modified). I wish someone would tell the Senators the bad guys don't care or even read these laws and just carry more mags.. I know, don't even go there with me...

These laws just make good citizens feel like WE are the CRIMINAL, and we call this land America!

Last edited by Aceman58; 11-10-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
These laws just make good citizens feel like WE are the CRIMINAL, and we call this land America!
Haha yeah, no kidding.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm in the North Bay... Just be prepared to pay a LOT more for everything. All magazines must be permanently modded to 10rds via block or pin permanently affixed or epoxied in place. Sucks.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Amen

Quote:
..... I wish someone would tell the Senators the bad guys don't care or even read these laws and just carry more mags..
That's assuming California Senator's would presume to be "Logical" and base their decisions on facts not emotions. (That's why as soon as I can blow outa here I'm gone.....)

FYI: CALGUNS.NET has a great PDF flow chart to determine if your potential AR is CALI compliant or an EBR. Thank God rimfires are exempt form everything but the 10 round limitations.

Here's a link:http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK I've never been a black rifle guy, but just got a new S&W AR 15 22. Here's my dumb question: What the heck is a bullet button?

Re CA compliant. The CA Attorney General has a web page that has California's "gun laws" and some announcements from the Atty Gen about the state's enforcement policies. Also a list of "banned" firearms and a very, very short list of recently approved firearms. I was surprised to see that previously approved firearms are regularly (and in large numbers) removed from the approved list. Why if once approved are they being now banned in CA? This law was promoted as one which was directed to cheap saturday night specials and "assault rifles"- but many firearms made by well known and high quality manufacturers have been approved and then later banned. (and we're not talking about true automatic weapons)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Not needed for rimfire rifles...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as AR & AK variants go the Ca. "Assault Weapons Ban" has pretty much been overcome by the bullet button, there are certain name brands inparticular that you can't buy or sell, Norinco AK's for one example. The bullet button attaches to the trigger guard and makes it necessary to use a tool to remove the magazine which makes it legal under the Ca. AWB law. The bullet button can be easily removed if you move out of state. It's absolutely ridiculous, all the time and money and effort to put the AWB into effect and it's overcome by a little piece of metal. I have a Vector Arms AK and it's just like any other AK, it's got it's little bullet button and it's 100% legal. The Ca. DOJ "safe handgun roster" is a whole other issue altogether, I love to check out Gunbroker and Gunsamerica so I can look at all the handguns that myself and anybody else who lives in Ca. can't buy , as M3G said, Calguns is the best place to look for info regarding any current Ca. gun laws.

Last edited by Super45.; 11-12-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 AM

You can also get around using a magazine lock if you run your assault rifle "featureless", like so:

I'll be going back n' forth with my AK since it's already nearly featureless.

A cool thing that has happened lately is that there is a Colt AR-15's that can finally be bought in California. Two stores near me are taking pre-orders for them now haha. Kind of a "**** you" to the dumb gun laws here.

Last edited by Jav; 11-12-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Jav, I thought pistol grip and removable magazine made it considered for assault weapon law, that is, needs a bullet button. I'd sure like to hear what you mean by featureless. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSwiss View Post
Jav, I thought pistol grip and removable magazine made it considered for assault weapon law, that is, needs a bullet button. I'd sure like to hear what you mean by featureless. Thanks.
I haven't heard of the "featureless" loophole either. Care to expand? Like iron-sights only or something? Because iron-sights are consistent enough in the 50-100 range to run with no optics if that means no bullet button.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLL View Post
Load up your truck with N-frame revolvers as well ! (perfectly legal for you to register here once you arrive)
I can give you a suggested list !

They are as good as gold coins !

Jerry
Seriously... so true. The Revolvers are fetching great prices these days. I need to dig up my old ones, could get all sorts of toys for the coin they are pulling lately.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSwiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
I haven't heard of the "featureless" loophole either. Care to expand? Like iron-sights only or something? Because iron-sights are consistent enough in the 50-100 range to run with no optics if that means no bullet button.
Hey guys,

Welp, CA defines 'assault weapons' by a list of specific features:

*Pistol grip or thumbhole stock
*Folding or collapsable stock
*grenade/flare launcher
*flash surpressor
*forward pistol grip

If you have those on your rifle, you need a magazine lock. If you don't, you can use a normal magazine release button to release your mags freely and if you possess "high capacity" magazines before the ban, you can use them in that rifle. Rimfire rifles are exempt so my rifle will look like anyone elses on this site except I can't import or fabricate a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

If your in CA you have to worry about Rossi's ban list (certain brands are banned by name: example- Colt), AR15/AK series list and those Assault weapon characteristics list.

Very useful flowchart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
US Veteran
Liked 846 Times in 334 Posts

If your chosen profession is active duty military, there are some restrictions listed on the AG's "moving to CA" website that will not apply to you. Specifically, if you are maintaining your residency status with a state other than CA, you will not be considered a personal firearms importer. The assault weapon and magazine capacity restrictions absolutely still apply. Of course if you are military and do decide to bring an evil black rifle, you have the ability to register it at $75 per year while you are here.

Please do not take my word on any of this. If you have questions call the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at 916-263-4887. They were very helpful when I moved to CA.

Chubbs
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Where do I find a CA legal grenade launcher...? *sarcasm included*
Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
Where do I find a CA legal grenade launcher...? *sarcasm included*

I'm hoping the CRPA, NRA, Cal Guns Foundation really do their part and get it so there's none of these silly lists, make normal capacity magazines, etc.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Liked 364 Times in 102 Posts

Well I'm a little late in posting but...

I saw that no one noted that you also have to register each firearm with the CA DOJ (within 30 days) on a separate form for each firearm and pay $25 for each firearm registered.

That would REALLY SUCK in my case. But not to worry I escaped there never to go back.

Tags
223, bayonet, bushmaster, carbine, ccw, colt, lock, military, n-frame, norinco, nra, performance center, rimfire, rossi