Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open  
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Last Shot Hold Open

I think I've got a finicky magazine because sometimes it doesn't hold open on the last shot.

I think it has something to do with the spring rubbing the body of the magazine (inside the spring slot) too tightly. Does anybody know how to remedy this?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open Last Shot Hold Open  
Liked 85 Times in 52 Posts

I had a similar problem, maybe this will help...

Reload problems!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Actually, I think this is the problem: Last shot hold open (Same problem).

I just don't know how to get to the spring to cut it!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Liked 378 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
I think I've got a finicky magazine because sometimes it doesn't hold open on the last shot.

I think it has something to do with the spring rubbing the body of the magazine (inside the spring slot) too tightly. Does anybody know how to remedy this?
Check the follower. I bought 8 magazines and one of them won't keep the bolt open after the last shot. It turns out that my bad magazine's follower is the culprit. The piece that sticks out is about 1/8 to 1/16 (I can't measure! ) shorter than the ones from my other magazines. When I swapped the follower from one of my other Mag's, it worked fine. I keep forgetting to call S&W to get the follower replaced.

BTW, all of magazines are less than two weeks old and the bad magazine malfunctuned the first time that I used it.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Use a punch to remove the Battery paddle pin and just trim the spring. Simple, dont cut to much.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

get a yellow jp hammer spring,,, sounds dumb but i bet it works,,, if it locks back every time by hand on a empty mag then its most likely short cycling
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I cut about a revolution of spring off the bolt catch and it works much better, even on my weakest spring'ed magazine!

Also put a bit of lube in where the bolt catch rubs the lower.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Liked 81 Times in 49 Posts

Try this, take the magazine apart, with a Qtip and gun oil, put some gun oil on the qtip and lighty wipe down the interior areas of the orange follower. You can also wipe down the spring with a cloth and light oil also. I use Tetra Lube and Qtip and then wipe it off with a dry cloth. I have 8 full size magzines and none jam or missfeed. All hold the latch up and last bolt opens.. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

I simply turned the mag spring around end for end, and it stopped dragging and solved the problemmmmm......Best regards Plum

Tags
smith & wesson, smith and wesson, smith-wessonforum.com