Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease?  
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Dry? Oil? Grease?

On your guys triggers (sear/trigger) do you use any oil or grease or run it dry? If ya do use grease, which type do you use?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease? Dry? Oil? Grease?  
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

I currently use some grease I got from an auto parts store with great results, but I need to order some JP Rifles. It's been suggested several times on another forum I like to read.

I don't use much though. I apply, then wipe most of it off with my finger.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

I use Tetra on all FCG moving surfaces, including the hammer face and the rear of the bolt.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Liked 445 Times in 297 Posts

Ditto on Tetra.....

Makes things CLEAN up nice.....
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

I've been spraying a light coat of Rem oil in my trigger assembly, and then wipe it all down with a oiled rag to remove the majority but leave a film. Seems to be working fine no problems.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts

What specific areas of the trigger/hammer/etc. should be greased? I've dropped a couple drops of oil in there, but am not sure of the specific areas to put grease on.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts

I've been running Supertech Synthetic general grease on the fire control group and the action on both my 15-22, AR15 and Beretta 92FS for a while now to no ill effects.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
What specific areas of the trigger/hammer/etc. should be greased? I've dropped a couple drops of oil in there, but am not sure of the specific areas to put grease on.
I use a single drop of RemOil on the trigger and hammer pins and Tetra on the face of the hammer, the matching surface of the bolt and the hooks on both the hammer and the disconnector.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

I must be old-school. I occasionally put one drop of oil on the sear using a pin-point oiler. I don't put any grease or copious amounts of oil in the lower. IMO, all it does is attract fouling.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

FROG LUBE!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

I haven't had any problems with attracting too much dust or dirt, or fouling. I agree that many times, oil is not a god thing- it is a dust and debris magnet. We don't use oil on a lot of assemblies I work on ( at work). Instead we use a dry film lubricant.

But, I haven't had any problems with my rifle. I normally clean after every trip to the range, and shoot maybe 400 rounds each trip. Have 3000 or more rounds thru the gun. I'm more worried about corrosion and rust. I wish S&W would have black oxide finished all of the non stainless components.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM
US Veteran
Liked 2,547 Times in 1,006 Posts

I've heard from them, whoever THRY are, that grease should be used on things like semi-auto slides, pump shotguns, rails that slide in grooves and such. Oil can be used on a trigger assembly or generally things that tend to pivot around a pin or such. When you have something making small movements without a lot of friction, oil is fine. Grease should be used in high friction areas with rapid movent (such as slide against frame). Grease can be used in the channels for the locking lugs of a bolt action rifle although oil is fine also.

CW
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

I just use the grease supplied by Geiselle with my triggers.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightshooter2 View Post
I've heard from them, whoever THRY are, that grease should be used on things like semi-auto slides, pump shotguns, rails that slide in grooves and such. Oil can be used on a trigger assembly or generally things that tend to pivot around a pin or such. When you have something making small movements without a lot of friction, oil is fine. Grease should be used in high friction areas with rapid movent (such as slide against frame). Grease can be used in the channels for the locking lugs of a bolt action rifle although oil is fine also.

CW
Not if they are rimfires. Never use grease on the slides of a .22LR rifle or pistol, period, as you are asking for trouble. On an AR trigger just use special grease on the trigger mating surfaces and you should not need any on the pins that pivot.
Even on centerfire pistols I and most any other competition shooter I know does not use grease on the slide either, but instead some kind of synthetic CLP. I do use grease on one spot of my open racegun under the forward part of the barrel, but that is it. I use Eezox on just about everything to give it the best rust protection available. Plus while Eezox goes on wet it bonds with the metal so you can wipe it off and it is still protected and lubed. Also have used Militec-1 for good lubing results.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
I haven't had any problems with attracting too much dust or dirt, or fouling. I agree that many times, oil is not a god thing- it is a dust and debris magnet. We don't use oil on a lot of assemblies I work on ( at work). Instead we use a dry film lubricant.

But, I haven't had any problems with my rifle. I normally clean after every trip to the range, and shoot maybe 400 rounds each trip. Have 3000 or more rounds thru the gun. I'm more worried about corrosion and rust. I wish S&W would have black oxide finished all of the non stainless components.
I suggest you invest in some Eezox. Number one rust preventative in the gun industry based on testing. Plus it is a metal bonding lubricant that can be wiped off after awhile and still protect the gun. I might clean my gun every 1000 rounds or maybe more. Except for a boresnake I might really clean the barrel after maybe 2000-3000 rounds. Only part I lube is the rails with Eezox once I clean the bolt and breech faces. I don't put lube on anything that gets powder residue because it just turns into a paste that gums up a rimfire.