Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo??  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default where is all the federal bulk ammo??

i must have called 15 different stores and gun shops in my area and there is nothing to be found ? i just said screw it went to bass pro and all they had was 2 100 boxes CCI and that was it for the .22lr. what gives ??
Old 06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo??  
Liked 669 Times in 360 Posts

There was a deal not long ago on gun-deals. I've got myself 10 bricks of fed ammo for $169 shipped - even beats wally price... Just checked: it was at Dunns sporting goods.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Where are you? Cabela's virtually always has it in stock, both locally and on line. I have another shop about 30 minutes from me that buys it a couple of million rounds at a time. Right now they are selling the blue box for $16.99.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Liked 157 Times in 86 Posts

There are 10 walmarts within 15 miles of my house and NONE of them have Federal bulk in stock ... I think everyone is shooting .22 lr now!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlBluesFan72 View Post
There are 10 walmarts within 15 miles of my house and NONE of them have Federal bulk in stock ... I think everyone is shooting .22 lr now!
That's because (1) the sporting good department managers don't order any or (2) they only order a couple of cases and there are shooters who know the shipping schedule and are waiting when the truck arrives.

Real gun shops order in a minimum of quarter million-round increments; even a quarter of a million rounds is only 476 boxes.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im from michigan and theirs a store called Rural King that has the blue box, 525 value pack going for 15.99. I order a few boxes of this stuff from cabelas, but have not shoot them yet.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Really? Im having problems finding CCI minimags here in my area. Walmart and everywhere else is all out.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have only used the federal value pack from walmart and have had no issues. About a month old gun with 3-4 cases through it. Im about to go to that Rural King store and buy them out. Maybe they do rainchecks, haha. Hope you guys find ammo.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I predicted this coming about 6 months ago....
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I know WM is supposed to the the largest ammo retailer, but I haven't seen one with any real large supply of anything in many, many years.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluebigfan View Post
Im from michigan and theirs a store called Rural King that has the blue box, 525 value pack going for 15.99. I order a few boxes of this stuff from cabelas, but have not shoot them yet.
We have the main store here in IL (Mattoon). The guy that started it still lives here. He has installed a heli-pad a fuel station for his Helicopter @ the Mattoon store. Money didnt change him @ all
When RR opened I loved it, now they sell so much cheap asian **** that I rather not go.

Back to the subject.. RR prices on any ammo other that shot-shells, is overpriced IMO

Last edited by ogilvyspecial; 06-11-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Creative spelling
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
Where are you? Cabela's virtually always has it in stock, both locally and on line. I have another shop about 30 minutes from me that buys it a couple of million rounds at a time. Right now they are selling the blue box for $16.99.
i'm in south Florida. Im gonna just have to order online when i get paid this week.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski4u1 View Post
i'm in south Florida. Im gonna just have to order online when i get paid this week.
I find it hard to believe you can't find a decent gun store down there with a good ammo supply, but anything's possible. Sorry you are having the problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

Central Indiana. Wally worlds have lots of federal bulk. One near me even had lots of 9mm on the shelf. .....that is until I bought a bunch.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

In my cabnet!! Lol jk... i go to fleet farm down the road from me.. all the basics always in stock.. fed 525s remmy gbs chester 333s and 555s, cci blazer 550, always a full shelf of each...
Allso always small packs stocked on hand.. chester 37grn 100pk, 40grn 100pack, wold cats thunder bolts,.. fed 31 & 40grns, cci mini mags both round nose an hollows, velocitors, stingers, cbs short and long...... yeaaah i got my ammo needs covered
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

automatch has been a little more absent, but i have still been able to find federal 550 packs.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Liked 378 Times in 165 Posts

The three Walmarts near my home all have Federal 525 packs, Winchester M-22, and various kinds of 100 packs of CCI and Remington ammo and I live in California! The only thing I have found hard to find is standard velocity .22lr which I have to use in my Phoenix HP22a.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM

My stash of .22 LR is never below 5k. I've been shooting quite a bit lately and am down to about 7k, so I'll probably take advantage of a local sale here and pick up another 5k this week. There's no such thing as too much ammo!
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

In my area the only dealer with CCI-SV is Dick's SG and they have it all the time. As for Fed 550 I can find none in any of the 4 WMs I can get to including the one store that usually has it all the time. As for the Fed 525 Champion I found my PC model does not like that. Apparently the 525 Champion has a slightly longer OAL than the WM supplied 550 bulk. Gander Mountain has CCI-Tactical usually and some WMs have the Win M-22. Otherwise I have to get Fed AM 325 from WM. I can usually get CCI-MM 40g at WM because most don't want to pay that much for good ammo just for plinking.
I am sure one reason for the shortage is the proliferation of dedicated .22s plus conversion kits for ARs plus the Slidefire stocks. I don't think the ammo industry was prepared for the increased popularity of it all.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I am sure one reason for the shortage is the proliferation of dedicated .22s plus conversion kits for ARs plus the Slidefire stocks. I don't think the ammo industry was prepared for the increased popularity of it all.
Then explain why there is no shortage of .22 LR where I am? It's the dealers who are unprepared, from my point of view. While WM claims to be the largest purchaser and retailer of ammo, I have never seen anything to support this. On the other hand, Cabela's up here is never out of stock on .22 LR - from the cheap stuff to the "good" stuff. It's always on the shelf. Same way for several of the LGS - shelves full of .22LR (and other calibers). One of them generally buys in million-round lots.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts

It is a matter of numbers, a quick search came up with WM having over 8500 stores world wide. There is no single other ammo retailer with anything close to that number of stores. WM only has to sell a fraction of ammo per store compared to other retailers to still sell the most ammo considering the company as a whole. And I would be Willing to bet that when WM places an order for their DC (distribution centers) they bring in a truckload per DC, not just a million rounds or so.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Liked 157 Times in 86 Posts

finding more than 2 boxes of any particular ammo in stock at my WM is a joke. Gander Mountain and Bass Pro in Ashland, Va. have .22 lr in stock but I am not going to pay 9 or 10 cents per round for ammo that performs NO better than my 4 cent per round WM bulk pack. Wish I had a Cabelas closer but they seem to have high prices also.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Liked 247 Times in 166 Posts

Probably going to start seeing prices going up. Ammo is in obviously in short supply in some place. I agree with all the new high volume users it's not surprising, they need to buy more machines and hire more people to increase capacity.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplr View Post
It is a matter of numbers, a quick search came up with WM having over 8500 stores world wide. There is no single other ammo retailer with anything close to that number of stores. WM only has to sell a fraction of ammo per store compared to other retailers to still sell the most ammo considering the company as a whole. And I would be Willing to bet that when WM places an order for their DC (distribution centers) they bring in a truckload per DC, not just a million rounds or so.
All you say is true, but what any given store has on the shelves is totally dependent upon what the sporting goods manager actually orders for HIS store. If he doesn't care, it doesn't get ordered. It doesn't matter the total order for WM, it's what any given store has available that matters. BTW, WM is not a gun store.

And my million round remark was for ONE gun store. Good example is Hoffman's in Newington, CT. I just got back from there, and they have a stack of a half-million rounds of Federal 525 in 10 box cases. They have a similar stack of Blazer .22, with more of both in the warehouse. Counting the half dozen or more stacks of other calibers, there was over 5 million rounds in case lots sitting on the floor, not counting what's on the shelf. When any given WM store has even 10k total on their shelves, I'll get excited about them.

BTW, I came home with 10,500 rounds of Federal for $340.

Last edited by Majorlk; 06-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I dont even bother with the wm by me, only carry remington gbs and chester 333s, along with cci mini mags n stingers, localy wise they have less on hand and less options than fleet farm... my local small gun shop carrys a decent variety of 22lr ammo.. even some aguila stuff..
Cabelas here also has a huge variety an also carrys aguila in bulk.. but there customer service pissed me off when trying to purchase a ruger mini 14 target model... everyone kept walkin past me and going to the older guys waiting.. i waited 30 min then left
Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo??  
Liked 117 Times in 85 Posts

On Target in Kalamazoo, Michigan has plenty of 22 mmo available.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cfed View Post
I dont even bother with the wm by me, only carry remington gbs and chester 333s, along with cci mini mags n stingers, localy wise they have less on hand and less options than fleet farm... my local small gun shop carrys a decent variety of 22lr ammo.. even some aguila stuff..
Cabelas here also has a huge variety an also carrys aguila in bulk.. but there customer service pissed me off when trying to purchase a ruger mini 14 target model... everyone kept walkin past me and going to the older guys waiting.. i waited 30 min then left
The Cabela's here uses a take-a-number machine. They are still slow, though, most of the time. I think it's newby customers 'window shopping'.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Majorlk,
I definitely wouldn't consider WM a gun store, or a sporting goods store for that matter, but they do sell sporting goods and some in my area sell long guns also.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM

I have nothing against WM; I shop there all the time. My problem is all too many new shooters look no further than WM and ignore full service gun shops for the sake of a couple of dollars on a $20 or $25 purchase.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to Rural King and bought 10 525 Federal Value Packs. I told my brother and he went and got 2 boxes for himself. He said that their was my twin shopping there too and I was like twin? He said their was a guy there that bought atleast 20 boxes of that stuff. I hope you guys have better luck finding ammo. Like someone mention, people that shop all the time will know when certain stores will restock their shelves and will buy all at once.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Liked 364 Times in 184 Posts

If you can't find it local check out PSA they have free shipping on everything! Federal bulk pack for 19.99.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Absent Comrade
where is all the federal bulk ammo?? where is all the federal bulk ammo??  
Liked 430 Times in 220 Posts

Have a nice long nap did you?

Emory
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

So, is there a shelf life for ammo? I have 15k rounds on the shelf. Other than obvious corrosion issues if it got wet, should I be concerned about it going bad on the shelf?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try Lucky Gunner at LuckyGunner.com. Their prices and services are great
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
So, is there a shelf life for ammo? I have 15k rounds on the shelf. Other than obvious corrosion issues if it got wet, should I be concerned about it going bad on the shelf?
in your garage maybe, inside it would last forever.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Stopped by my local WalMart today to find an empty shelf where the Federal's usually sit. Not surprising as their ammo selection is typically lacking at best. Bought a box of Winchester "555" instead (after waiting 10 minutes for someone who had the key to the ammo cabinet to show up).
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Do you see an expiration date on the box?

Ammo, stored with reasonable care, will last 75 to 100 years. I have ammo that I loaded in the 70's that shoots just fine today. I just finished shooting up a brick of .22 LR that I bought in 1980 and forgot I had. Ammo loaded for WWII shoots just fine today.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

I don't know where all the bulk ammo is, but I do know where to find 10,000 rounds.

Quote:
Keep it in a cool dry place, and it should outlive you.

When my mother passed on my father's Colt Woodsman & her Ruger Super Single Six, she also handed me all this old ammo.

It was kept in the basement of her current home since 1978, in a metal box. I found the purchase receipts for all of it. The ammo was purchased in 1971.

The exterior of the metal box was rusty. Some of the boxes had moisture damage. The some of the Wildcat & Western LRN's have some white powdery substance on the tips. The brass cases are tarnished.

All of it fires just fine. In fact, I swear that this older ammo is more accurate than current production ammo. I shoot the old ammo sparingly.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
I don't know where all the bulk ammo is, but I do know where to find 10,000 rounds.

Keep it in a cool dry place, and it should outlive you.

When my mother passed on my father's Colt Woodsman & her Ruger Super Single Six, she also handed me all this old ammo.

It was kept in the basement of her current home since 1978, in a metal box. I found the purchase receipts for all of it. The ammo was purchased in 1971.

The exterior of the metal box was rusty. Some of the boxes had moisture damage. The some of the Wildcat & Western LRN's have some white powdery substance on the tips. The brass cases are tarnished.

All of it fires just fine. In fact, I swear that this older ammo is more accurate than current production ammo. I shoot the old ammo sparingly.
nice, im scared to ask what the price tag says on those mini mags
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm in my local Wally regularly and always check the ammo - or lack there of. Last week I caught the manager stocking shelves and she told me that they don't re-order anything until it's completely out. Then it's usually two weeks before it comes in. She went on to tell me that "some guy" usually comes in and buys all the Fed bulk boxes. I get my ammo at the big private shop an hour away or at one of the three Dick's that are near by, but only on sale there.
For $590 cash I walked out of the private shop with a new 15-22, three extra mags, a TAA front grip and seven boxes of 525 Fed Champs..............the Rev
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeff View Post
I'm in my local Wally regularly and always check the ammo - or lack there of. Last week I caught the manager stocking shelves and she told me that they don't re-order anything until it's completely out. Then it's usually two weeks before it comes in. She went on to tell me that "some guy" usually comes in and buys all the Fed bulk boxes. I get my ammo at the big private shop an hour away or at one of the three Dick's that are near by, but only on sale there.
For $590 cash I walked out of the private shop with a new 15-22, three extra mags, a TAA front grip and seven boxes of 525 Fed Champs..............the Rev
This is typical of WM managers - and they seldom order more than 10k of .22LR at any one time - that's TWO cases of Federal 525.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 AM

One thing I don't hear a lot of people talk about is online ordering or gun shows. I got a case of CCI Blazer (5000 rounds) for $170.00+tax at a gun show and I watch gun-deals.com for deals and got a case of Federal 36gr HP copper (5250 rounds) for $169.99 to my door. If I could find anything even close to the same price locally I would love to support mom and pops, still looking.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
The Cabela's here uses a take-a-number machine. They are still slow, though, most of the time. I think it's newby customers 'window shopping'.
That's why I skip Cabelas. It reminds me of the DMV, and the employees act about the same.

Around here, WM has all the garbage ammo that I refuse to buy. The Fed 525's are nice, but they are always gone.

Luckily, there's a large general store down the hill from me that got busted skipping paperwork . They can't sell firearms anymore, but they have some awesome ammo prices now.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
That's why I skip Cabelas. It reminds me of the DMV, and the employees act about the same.
Thanks for giving me the laugh of the day.

For the most part, when I buy stuff at Cabela's I skip the firearms checkout counter and just go straight to the downstairs check out registers. Not with firearms, of course.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Liked 167 Times in 97 Posts

Federal .22LR 36gr Copper Plated HP 525rd Value Pack

Here is you guys some ammo with free shipping and no tax if you cant find any.

Here is all there 22 ammo. Free shipping.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ong-rifle.html

Last edited by 2001gmc; 06-14-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Just a comment ...

There is no such thing as free shipping. Someone ALWAYS pays; 99.99 percent of the time it is the customer; the company just adds it to the cost of the ammo.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Down here in south Louisiana our wal-marts are always stocked with both the federal bulk and the cci. No sure why ANY decent department manager wouldn't stock something that is leaving the shelves unless they are getting away from carrying it. In that case, what would we do for all the federal!!??
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned
Liked 136 Times in 57 Posts

Federal 745 22LR 36gr Copper Plated Case of 5250 rounds for $169 delivered:
https://www.shopdunns.com/products/2...r_plated_case/
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Someone needs to talk to their advertising department. It's the bullet that's copper plated, not the case. The cases are brass.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

LOL. Wow

My post was too short, now it isn't.