Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded?  
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Why is my barrel not threaded?

Just purchased the 15-22 and had my 10 days, picked it up today. The floor model was threaded with flashhider and was under the impression the newer models all came with flashhider/threaded barrels? My serial number is DZPxxxx...Is this common? I dont want to take it back only to have to wait again when I already have the weapon now, but I'm just curious why my barrel isnt threaded.
-Thanks in advance guys
-Charles
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded?  
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

S&W lists many different types of the 15-22. Some threaded, some not, camo. versions, etc etc etc.. All depends on the model # you ordered, no idea on the serial #, someone else may be able to help you with that.

Here's S&W's 15-22 page:

M&P15-22<br>.22 LR - Smith & Wesson
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts

Dude where do you live that there's a 10 day wait on these?! Also, like the previous poster said, there are many different models. You got the cheapest of the bunch which is good, but it doesn't come with all the extras (namely threaded barrel unless we're talking MOE)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

ours is 14 day wait and no threaded barrels/flash hiders or telescoping stocks period. Oddly high cap mags are fine though.

also if they showed you a model threaded it sounds like they pulled a switch on you. did they give you multiple price options? usually the non threaded are cheaper.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Yea I'm in Ca, Ten day waiting period, no hi caps (10 round mag only), and only certain options are available on rifles. When I held the weapon at the store and said "ok I'll take it", I had done my research and knew this was the ar .22 platform I wanted. However, The floor model had a flash hider/ threaded barrel and because I didn't know various models were made other than MOE and the Match versions, I thought after the earlier versions all of the 15-22 platforms came with flash hiders, but clearly I was wrong. Anyways, they had a decent price on the model that was displayed, but it had a flashhider, however that price tag that was on this version is the same price I paid for mine...Interesting I suppose...I think I'll just pay to have the barrel threaded, it's the same thing as having it done from the factory anyways right?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

Close enough to the same thing yeah. Resale may be slightly lower with an aftermarket job. If you dont want to wait you can buy a bolt on adapter that puts a threaded end on with set screws. Not quite the same but conceivably fqster.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Why is my barrel not threaded? Why is my barrel not threaded?  
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacheese View Post
ours is 14 day wait and no threaded barrels/flash hiders or telescoping stocks period. Oddly high cap mags are fine though.

also if they showed you a model threaded it sounds like they pulled a switch on you. did they give you multiple price options? usually the non threaded are cheaper.
That's only if you don't have a pistol permit in Connecticut.
Otherwise, with the permit, you pick out the one you want and walk out with in about 20 minutes.
Regards,
BM1
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_man_ one View Post
That's only if you don't have a pistol permit in Connecticut.
Otherwise, with the permit, you pick out the one you want and walk out with in about 20 minutes.
Regards,
BM1
same if you have a hunting license, or buy from a gun show.

takes much longer (8 weeks beyond meeting requirements) to get the pistol permit.

15-22 being my first purchase, I wasn't going to wait the 10+ weeks to take a class (be finger printed and photographed like a criminal) and get the permit esp when at this point i have no desire to own/carry a handgun.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

Delete due to incorrect info

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 06-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
In CA, you can only have those features with a fixed magazine. Same rules for Assault weapons applies to the 15-22

So if you want a threaded barrel and bayo lug and folding stock, you need a fixed mag. I'm not familiar with the 15-22 (I have m&p15) so it may not be possible to do this.

Sounds like yours is the CA AWB compliant model...but they are displaying a non-compliant rifle.

You sure CA doesn't have exemptions for rimfire rifles? I think they do...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacheese View Post
You sure CA doesn't have exemptions for rimfire rifles? I think they do...
Actually, i believe you are right.

MA doesn't have exemption which is where I live and was thinking of. A 15-22 here is treated the same as any other ar-15 (ie no feature or high cap mags)

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 06-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Liked 261 Times in 193 Posts

would the store be willing to work with you to swap for a threaded barrel gun? you're going to have to wait when you send out the barrel to get threaded. might as well get it right now and not have to spend more of your own $.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,599 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedme07 View Post
Yea I'm in Ca, Ten day waiting period, no hi caps (10 round mag only), and only certain options are available on rifles. When I held the weapon at the store and said "ok I'll take it", I had done my research and knew this was the ar .22 platform I wanted. However, The floor model had a flash hider/ threaded barrel and because I didn't know various models were made other than MOE and the Match versions, I thought after the earlier versions all of the 15-22 platforms came with flash hiders, but clearly I was wrong. Anyways, they had a decent price on the model that was displayed, but it had a flashhider, however that price tag that was on this version is the same price I paid for mine...Interesting I suppose...I think I'll just pay to have the barrel threaded, it's the same thing as having it done from the factory anyways right?
Take it back and tell them it's NOT what you ordered (like the one you held in the store). It should be the EXACT same model that was on the wall like you ordered. Tell them to make it right or get your money back and walk.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Take it back and tell them it's NOT what you ordered (like the one you held in the store). It should be the EXACT same model that was on the wall like you ordered. Tell them to make it right or get your money back and walk.
Agreed !!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
My thoughts, exactly. They just charged you for a threaded barrel and delivered a cheaper one.

I would go back and get the one you wanted. In the long run, it will be cheaper, faster, and a "factory thread". I know it's hard to go back when you have the gun in hand and want to shoot it, but that's not what you paid for and worth the extra trouble to get the deal done right.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedme07 View Post
. Anyways, they had a decent price on the model that was displayed, but it had a flashhider, however that price tag that was on this version is the same price I paid for mine...Interesting I suppose...I think I'll just pay to have the barrel threaded, it's the same thing as having it done from the factory anyways right?
They screwed you, I would ask for a refund on the price difference and find a new LGS to deal with.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 AM
Liked 378 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51mstg View Post
My thoughts, exactly. They just charged you for a threaded barrel and delivered a cheaper one.

I would go back and get the one you wanted. In the long run, it will be cheaper, faster, and a "factory thread". I know it's hard to go back when you have the gun in hand and want to shoot it, but that's not what you paid for and worth the extra trouble to get the deal done right.
Same thing happened to me. The salesman showed me a picture of an APG Camo'd M&P 15-22 with a threaded barrel here in California. The threaded barrel was the clincher for me because it costs $85 around here to get your barrel threaded. When I showed up ten days later they handed me one without the threaded barrel. I told them that they made a mistake. Initially, they tried to tell me that it was my fault that I ordered the wrong one. Luckily, I still had the black and white printout of a threaded barreled APG M&P 15-22 that the salesman had given me. I gave it to the manger and he said he was sorry and ordered the correct one. Unfortunately for me, I had to wait an additional week to get the right one. Anyway, California does allow threaded barrels on .22 rifles because they are not centerfire rifles. So, we can have any of the listed features on our non-centerfire rifles as long as the magazine doesn't hold more than 10 rounds. :-)

The California Attorney General states the following from their Assault Weapons Identification guide:
Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
Note: Bayonets and bayonet lugs are not assault weapon characteristics under California law.

The preceeding quote comes from the Ca. Dept. of Justice Website:
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/awguide.pdf?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

Sounds like you need a .45/70 lever action, WITH A BAYONET!

KBK