Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned
Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake  
Liked 67 Times in 47 Posts
Default Hoppes Bore Snake

I have never used a bore snake....I bought a 22 caliber bore snake and I got the weight thru the bore ok, but I could not get the green part with the brush to go only half way thru the bore.......I am still a little strong at 200 lbs and I near busted my gut with the thing.....Do I have to hook it up to my 4x4 to pull it thru or do you guys know the secret
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake Hoppes Bore Snake  
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts

They're tough, especially the first time through. When I had a problem, I bought a 3-piece rod to use instead, and broke it the first time I used it. So I went back to the Bore Snake. I use Eezox lube now, which I think gets into the metal and helps it go through easier. Main problem I've had is the last 1/2" or so going through, usually because it's knotted up just a bit. I always make sure it's pulled out even and smooth and has no knot or kink, but it still is a bit tough to get through. I've considered cutting off the last 1" of the Bore Snake to help, but haven't needed to yet.

A buddy cleans his by stepping on the metal end of the Bore Snake, and pulling the barrel assembly up with both hands. I seem to have problems holding it down with my foot, but it does make it easier to pull through.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Liked 75 Times in 47 Posts

YES its really hard to pull through. Just make sure its not hanging up on any part of the gun. I thought the same thing first time I did it too. Lube the **** out of the snake with your cleaner and that should help alot.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Liked 376 Times in 226 Posts

Yep. A bit tough to get started at first. It DOES get much easier. I add a little CLP just before the burrs and pull through twice.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

When I do the next rifle I will put a lot of Hoppes #9 on the fabric......

Thanks for the comments guys
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Last edited by DavisN4; 05-20-2014 at 07:19 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Liked 325 Times in 148 Posts

I put a piece of surgical tubing over the ejector hook to keep from snagging it.

Hobie
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie1 View Post
I put a piece of surgical tubing over the ejector hook to keep from snagging it.

Hobie
Or you can use a straw or in my case a piece of airline tubing for fish tanks. Whatever you have handy which was the tubing in my case (that happens when you buy 500 feet of it at a time LOL).
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1974 View Post
I have had a heck of a time getting the bore snake through my ar15-22 I have even pulled the smaller leader string loose from the thicker cleaning section trying to pull it through. I will try the lube tip next time.
As others have stated take steps to make sure you do not snag the extractor. If it is too hard, pull through till it gets tough, double check that it is not hanging on extractor, with barrel pointed straight down step on the pull cord and then pull up with both arms. Depending on barrel length and your height you may be able to do it with one stroke. If not repeat till the snake has been pulled through. (hint do not do this on your wife's favorite carpet)

RAL
Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Liked 261 Times in 193 Posts

just did it last night for about the 10th time and it was still tough. i usually sit the top half of the rifle on my lap with the rvg against my leg, wrap the weight around one hand and pull through as i guide the back end away from my extractor. its sort of a dance but ive gotten used to it lol.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Liked 122 Times in 69 Posts

I use a Hoppes 'Viper' bore snake which has 3 brushes. It was extremely tight the first couple of times but now pulls through much smoother.

I put CLP on each brush and the end section (lube zone), a couple of passes and the bore is really clean.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Liked 195 Times in 112 Posts

Tought the first time..easy now
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
US Veteran
Liked 690 Times in 345 Posts

suggestion, wet the bore w/ bore cleaner w/ rod and patch. soak snake in solvent cleaner, from the chamber end, insert brass tip pull out muzzle end. half way thru i double wrap tip end around my hand. it is a pull, but you should be holding the barrel in one hand. your barrel will come clean, in several pulls, even the 223 barrel will clean good. i use a pickle jar w/ hot water and dish soap to clean the bore snake. if you don`t fill up the jar, it can be shook to clean snake. let sit awhile. then change water and add some dish soap. shake-- rinse, it will come out like new. hang to dry. another suggestion while hunting, patches, bore snake put in bag w/ bandaids, compass, always know where it is at. it just seems when goose hunting, mud will get in the barrel.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
I have had a heck of a time getting the bore snake through my ar15-22 I have even pulled the smaller leader string loose from the thicker cleaning section trying to pull it through. I will try the lube tip next time.
You are supposed to put some CLP or other bore cleaner on the front three or four inches, not run it through dry.

It's supposed to be a tight fit, otherwise it does nothing to clean the bore. It will compress somewhat and get a little easier to get through after a dozen or so uses.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ady View Post
just did it last night for about the 10th time and it was still tough. i usually sit the top half of the rifle on my lap with the rvg against my leg, wrap the weight around one hand and pull through as i guide the back end away from my extractor. its sort of a dance but ive gotten used to it lol.
I have an adapter on the bottom front of the quad rail to hold my Harris bipod. I just feed the leader through and then clamp the adaptor in the vice and pull the BS through.

Holding the rifle in one hand and pulling on the leader with the other is next to impossible.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

FWIW, the amber plastic pill bottles from the pharmacy are excellent storage containers for BoreSnakes.

You can easily label the bottles with which BS is in it, if you have more than one, as I do. I find I no longer bother with rods and patches, even on my pistols.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I'm 165 soaking wet, ya it doesn't exactly just slip right through, but at 200 lbs I would think maybe u need to hit the gym. As for stepping on the end up the snake and pulling the rifle up....man up ladies !! Haha, I just playin but halfway serious $ I put on a glove, give it a couple wraps around my hand and pull like u got a pair, I've heard of the skinny part of the snake breaking on peeps so keep an eye out for that.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

I ain't a fat flabby 200lbs even at 68
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nk444 View Post
I'm 165 soaking wet, ya it doesn't exactly just slip right through, but at 200 lbs I would think maybe u need to hit the gym. As for stepping on the end up the snake and pulling the rifle up....man up ladies !! Haha, I just playin but halfway serious $ I put on a glove, give it a couple wraps around my hand and pull like u got a pair, I've heard of the skinny part of the snake breaking on peeps so keep an eye out for that.
That seems to be more of a problem with the new Viper line of snakes, rather that the regular one. Also, jerking on the leader, rather than a steady pull, can cause the separation.

One other thing to remember... the bore diameter of a .22 LR barrel is smaller, by a couple of thousands, than a .223/5.56 barrel, which is what the .22 model is designed for. The section with the brushes doesn't compress and so is tougher to pull through. The first few inches and the section after the brushes are not a problem.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Liked 325 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral2ooo View Post
As others have stated take steps to make sure you do not snag the extractor. If it is too hard, pull through till it gets tough, double check that it is not hanging on extractor, with barrel pointed straight down step on the pull cord and then pull up with both arms. Depending on barrel length and your height you may be able to do it with one stroke. If not repeat till the snake has been pulled through. (hint do not do this on your wife's favorite carpet)

RAL
Ejector young Jedi. Extractor on bolt.

Hobie
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts

Why not throw the darn thing away, Ive never liked them at all. I do admit purchasing one when they where first becoming popular. After several uses it was all full of ****, fouling and lead, and I didnt want to drag it back through the bore of any of my firearms. Maybe theres a way to clean the bore snake, but I dont like them one little bit. The bore is one of the most important parts of any firearm. Just my 2 pennys worth.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kalsem View Post
Why not throw the darn thing away, Ive never liked them at all. I do admit purchasing one when they where first becoming popular. After several uses it was all full of ****, fouling and lead, and I didnt want to drag it back through the bore of any of my firearms. Maybe theres a way to clean the bore snake, but I dont like them one little bit. The bore is one of the most important parts of any firearm. Just my 2 pennys worth.
Put it in a jar with some detergent and shake for a few minutes, then rinse it and let it dry.

To each his own, but after 40+ years of shooting, the cleaning rods, jags and patches have been packed away and all I use are BoreSnakes. There is far less danger to the chambers, bores and barrel crowns, than from metal rods and jags.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM

a couple pulls with a boresnake is still a lot quicker than brushes and patches and patches and patches.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kalsem View Post
After several uses it was all full of ****, fouling and lead, and I didnt want to drag it back through the bore of any of my firearms.
Sounds like more of an ammo problem. I've been using the same .22 BoreSnake for years on my pistols, and also since getting my 15-22. The snake, and my gun bores, all look good and clean.

But then I don't use lead-only bullets.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts

Mine wouldn't pass at all where the pull cord and the BS were sewn together, had to cut it back a little. Try wrapping the pull cord around a screw driver and using it as a handle, you can put out on it and your hands don't hurt.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
I find I no longer bother with rods and patches, even on my pistols.
I've been thinking of doing this for the passed 5 years. I'm glad to read this, I think I'll make the jump lol.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM

I'm a recent convert because I have always hated trying to run patches through a .22 barrel. Larger bores never have been a problem, but .22 barrels were always a PITB. That's why, for the most part, all I did was run a bronze brush through one a few times and then an oil-soaked mop.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts

I do mostly hand gun shooting and agree, all that stuff is fairly easy. However when shooting my Mini or my new .22 Smith it's a pain!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 PM

I've even shifted to the BS for all my pistols. Cleaning the charge holes in a revolver's cylinder is SO much easier now.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 PM

i did the same and switched to a boresnake on my xd 9's and havent looked back. also ran my other boresnake through my new sig 1911 .22 earlier tonight for the first time and wow was it 100x easier than the 15-22.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Liked 77 Times in 61 Posts

I haven't "pulled the trigger" on purchasing a bore snake yet. Kind of old fashioned - but I don't mind patches and brush.

I watched a guy at the range use the snake on his pistol and Ballistol sprayed everywhere. Seemed kind of messy.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajo View Post
I haven't "pulled the trigger" on purchasing a bore snake yet. Kind of old fashioned - but I don't mind patches and brush.

I watched a guy at the range use the snake on his pistol and Ballistol sprayed everywhere. Seemed kind of messy.
Doesn't know how to use it. No need to soak the BS with solvent.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Liked 489 Times in 232 Posts

It's never happened to me, but it sounds from what I've read that a bore snake broken off in ones barrel is not easy to deal with. I won't use em.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Testosteros View Post
It's never happened to me, but it sounds from what I've read that a bore snake broken off in ones barrel is not easy to deal with. I won't use em.
I can't imagine that even if a Bore Snake broke, it would be hard to pull out from the unbroken end. OTOH, I HAVE had a horrible time getting a broken 3-piece rod out of a rifle bore.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
I can't imagine that even if a Bore Snake broke, it would be hard to pull out from the unbroken end. OTOH, I HAVE had a horrible time getting a broken 3-piece rod out of a rifle bore.
If it's not hanging out of the muzzle or breach how are you going to pull on it?

Those little bristles don't like to change direction either.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 AM

if a boresnake breaks, im guessing at least 1 end will still be hanging out of the barrel to pull. that is unless a freak occurrence happens and both ends snap. then ill just use my rod from my old cleaning kit to put it through. doesnt seem that difficult.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
If it's not hanging out of the muzzle or breach how are you going to pull on it?

Those little bristles don't like to change direction either.
True about the bristles. But the only thing that's ever stuck at all on mine has been toward the very end of the thick/loop end. There's /always/ an end sticking out, and I think would be if it broke. Worst I've ever had to do is use a small screwdriver to straighten out the end (usually it's kinked a bit or something) then pull it through.

Anyhow, while I still use a patch sometimes to put solvent in place and let it soak, before cleaning, my barrel cleaning routine has used boresnakes on all my guns for many years. Probably since about the time they were available. Never a problem on anything, except I agree they can be tight on a .22 or .223 rifle.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I never use a BS on a rimfire tho I do have a long thick strand of weed wacker line that I use to pull through patches from the bore out the muzzle of the firearm. Couple drops of CLP on the patch. Only took a sharp pointed cut on 1 end and a Bic lighter blob on the end to secure the patch. That way I don't drag anything back over the bore. I just don't see any need to run a bronze brush through a .22 rimfire barrel. ....WVleo
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Testosteros View Post
I have head of a few cases where the first production Viper BoreSnakes had a problem with the attachment of the leader to the body of the snake. That was something over a year ago.

I find that, like most things on the Internet, complaints about the BoreSnakes are from folks who have never actually tried them.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
True about the bristles. But the only thing that's ever stuck at all on mine has been toward the very end of the thick/loop end. There's /always/ an end sticking out, and I think would be if it broke. Worst I've ever had to do is use a small screwdriver to straighten out the end (usually it's kinked a bit or something) then pull it through.
Thanks for the info.

I asked because I've read about people using a rod and a hammer to get their BS out of the barrel. That isn't something I could do to one of my firearms.

I haven't used a BS on a rimfire, but I like them for my big bore rifles and pistols. I grew up using a rod and patches, and now I use an Otis kit. I'm a big fan of the Otis kits.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
Thanks for the info.

I asked because I've read about people using a rod and a hammer to get their BS out of the barrel. That isn't something I could do to one of my firearms.
Then they are doing something wrong in the first place, IMHO.

Quote:
I haven't used a BS on a rimfire, but I like them for my big bore rifles and pistols. I grew up using a rod and patches, and now I use an Otis kit. I'm a big fan of the Otis kits.
The BS is all I use now, even on all the .22s.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I have broken two of the bore snakes and getting them back out is NOT a problem. FYI, the two I broke were purchased about a year ago.
What broke - the leader/snake joint?
Were they Vipers or the regular BS?
What caliber?

Just curious ...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

I got the bore snake thing right.....Cleaned every bore in the house......Even works on larger calibers.......Hooray!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01 View Post
I got the bore snake thing right.....Cleaned every bore in the house......Even works on larger calibers.......Hooray!
It does a great job getting WildCat poop out of the bore!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

FYI....Used up about 1000 rounds of 40g WildCats thru my Colt C 4 and S&W mod 2206 pistol with a couple of FTFs and no remarkable mess....Just normal carbon dirt.......Go figure...............Seen the New Remington stuff????...I'm waiting for reviews.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, It broke right at the connection between the leader and the cleaning portion of the BS. They were both the regular bore snakes.They were both 22cal.

I use them on all my long guns and pistols and only have difficulty with the M&P 15-22.
Interesting ... I have the same level of "difficulty" pulling the snake through my 10/22 and 77/22 as I do the 15-22.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could just be a .22 caliber thing, because I have one in .30/.303 and never had a problem pulling it through.

What I do is stick my rifle's barrel on my shoe, drop the weight down the barrel, then set the rifle down on a table/shooting bench and pull it through, wrapping it around my hand and wrist as I go.

Only problem I've ever had with the Bore Snake is that if you let the brush and the rest of it touch, the brush might stick on to the fabric of the rest of the Bore Snake.

I even put it in a small draw-string bag and drop it in the laundry. I might need to replace mine after nearly 2 years of use. It's getting a little frayed. But it's still better than a brush and rod.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

Was told by Hoppe's customer service that a very small amount of bore cleaner should be placed on it just before the brushes. Contrary to what most people would think liberal amounts of cleaner or oil makes it harder to pull thru the bore. The liquid soaks into the fabric and swells it. Now before anyone disputes this remember I am only relaying what Hoppe's said.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Sounds logical.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

I absolutely love this tool. I have a dozen of various calibers.