Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I got the itch. I got the itch. I got the itch. I got the itch. I got the itch.  
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default I got the itch.

So i picked up a m&p pc for me and my son,hope to have alot of with it.Been looking for stuff and just found 35rd. mag. at midway usa 30.00 and got the sightmark pro with the quick detach just getting into the ar stuff i know i have great timing lol! Was woundering about slings,what seems to work good.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Liked 243 Times in 132 Posts

Well, now. Go scratch that itch, son.

Sounds like you are on the road to enjoyment. As for commenting on slings, look through the Pictures post on this page and find something that suits you, then research it and find a retailer.

My personal suggestion is buy something that is single-point and 2-point convertible. Single point seems like a good idea at first (and is infrequently) but most everyone is better served with a 2-point sling for practical uses. Having the ability to go either way might save you some buyer's remorse.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Liked 245 Times in 111 Posts

Spend some time in the picture thread here, as well as searching the forum. We've had lots of good informative posts, even recently, on slings and how to attach them.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

To be honest, I'd think about if you'll even use a sling or not. If you're going to be using a range, chances are that the rifle will sit on a bench most of the time and a sling won't be needed.

Not saying there's anything wrong with a sling. I bought a Magpul MS3 and love it, but I've found that I don't use it at all.

Maybe your situation will be different, but unless you really think you'll need one the money may be better spent on something like a grip, ammo, magazine, etc.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts

I've been planning to build out my 15-22 as my interim home defense weapon until I can afford to buy (and practice with) a larger caliber. Is a sling useful for this or just tacticool overkill?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,599 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaineEvent View Post
To be honest, I'd think about if you'll even use a sling or not. If you're going to be using a range, chances are that the rifle will sit on a bench most of the time and a sling won't be needed.
If you are going to hunt,a sling is a must have.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
If you are going to hunt,a sling is a must have.
Oh, I agree. If I was going to carry a rifle, even one as light as the 15-22, I'd want a sling to carry it hunting or in any tactical application.

If you're going to be a range shooter then I believe there are other items that would trump buying a sling over them. At the range, I'd much rather have a VFG or AFG than a sling.

Just suggesting the OP think about how they're going to use their rifle first and foremost is all.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks fellas. I am learning and what i mean by that is i will have about 1200 in this gun when done this week i will be getting a charging handle from ndz and a few things from sws but like a buddy of mine says when i ask what the heck u need that for and his reply is u only live once.Beuford T. when the ammo arrives i will scratch that itch till i bleed lol!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts

Congrats on the 15-22 but if you need a HD gun go find a Remington 870 Express or a Mossberg 500 at a local store or Wally World, you can get a real HD gun for about the same or less than all tacticool stuff you mentioned and when you get the HD gun THEN go get the toys.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

If the $1200 you will have in it doesn't include a better trigger then you are wasting some money. Most everything else is just fluff. Any optics you put on that cost more that around $200 is overkill.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

I'm not a big fan on using either a .22 or an AR for HD. One has too much penetration and the other does not have enough. The AR would be fine for a zombie invasion or defending against a threat from outside. Shotgun, handgun or a pistol caliber carbine is better. I have all of the above. Beretta CX4 in 9mm. 20 and 30 rd Mdl 92 pistol mags and use can choose an appropriate HP round for your situation.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango View Post
I've been planning to build out my 15-22 as my interim home defense weapon until I can afford to buy (and practice with) a larger caliber. Is a sling useful for this or just tacticool overkill?
I suggest you take a moment & figure out how you plan on using this weapon. Since you brought up the word tacticool, determine if you primarily want a cool looking Barbie doll that you can dress up with expensive, heavy devices that you will never use. I started down that road myself but backed off & went with a more minimalistic route. Hunting & range shooting often dictates magnified optics. IMO, home defense means light & quiet. Sure don't need a sling for that. A good red dot (I use a TRS-25) co-witnessed with Magpul folding sights is a good start. A small, lightweight laser is nice in this environment also. Flashlights look cool but IMO just get in the way, add weight & are not all that practical for home defense. I do agree a trigger upgrade should be on the top of your list.

If home defense is your main concern, as it is with me, then shoot (train) accordingly. Don't just punch paper on the range, trying to see how tight a grouping you can get. Shoot at a series of targets, all relatively close, but spread out. This teaches you to quickly acquire a target then to reengage. A dueling tree target is perfect for this, especially if you are limited on space.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Thank you for the advice. I realize that .22 is a very small caliber that isn't ideal for HD but that's my only caliber at the moment and it seems better than a baseball bat. I'm not financially in a position to buy another gun right now.

I do not have Magpul sights, I have the standard AR style ones. Should I invest in the Magpul sights or will the standard ones line up with a red dot ok?

I was looking at lasers on Amazon -- they don't seem expensive. What brand of laser do you recommend?

I have an AFG2 on my 10/22 but I was considering getting the Mako forward grip with the flashlight trigger attachment. It seemed to keep the flashlight centered and not in the way. Is this possibly middle ground or are flashlights a bad idea in general?
404 - Document Not Found
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

I think you should use the rifle enough so you can answer some of your own questions. No way we can tell you if you need different sights since the stock sights may be perfect for you and what you use the rifle for.

Putting things like lasers/lights on it may sound good, but at the end of the day, you may be better served saving that money for a shotgun/pistol. The 15-22 can be used for home defense, but not very well. Adding items to it like you're talking is like putting one of those big mufflers on a Honda Civic.

No sense dumping a lot of money into something so that you can make it into something it wasn't intended to be, but that's just my humble opinion.

Get a good magnified optic and some ammo.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Keep in mind if you ask 10 folks here, you will get 10 different answers. Everyone's situation is different.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I realize that .22 is a very small caliber that isn't ideal for HD but that's my only caliber at the moment and it seems better than a baseball bat. I'm not financially in a position to buy another gun right now.
22lr is certainly not ideal but is still deadly... if used properly. That is why I stated you train for the home invasion scenario. Since most folks don't flinch when shooting a 22, they are more accurate with it. I train for a double tap, where with every target, I fire twice very quickly. Very easy to do with a 22 as there is little muzzle rise or recoil.

Quote:
I do not have Magpul sights, I have the standard AR style ones. Should I invest in the Magpul sights or will the standard ones line up with a red dot ok?
Up to you & what you like or are used to. I'm not familiar with using standard sights as a co-witness. Like I said, I like a clean, light gun. With the folding BUIS, they are very light & stay out of the way when not in use. My red dot is my primary sight but I can quickly switch to iron sights as needed.

Quote:
I was looking at lasers on Amazon -- they don't seem expensive. What brand of laser do you recommend?
I personally like Crimson Trace, but they aren't cheap. I have a larger one that has a laser built into a vertical grip but it is just too big for what I like. I use this tiny one now.
Amazon.com: Crimson Trace Rail Master Universal Mount Laser: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fAUHafWeL.@@AMEPARAM@@31fAUHafWeL

Quote:
I have an AFG2 on my 10/22 but I was considering getting the Mako forward grip with the flashlight trigger attachment. It seemed to keep the flashlight centered and not in the way. Is this possibly middle ground or are flashlights a bad idea in general?
Just depends on what you want. I just don't like big attachments on my gun. In my opinion, I don't like flashlights for home defense. Once again, they just add to the weight & size of the gun. Also, to my way of thinking, why would I need a flashlight in my house? All that would do is give away my position & make me a target... plus ruin my night vision. In my house, with home defense, I know the environment... the intruder doesn't.

Now if I'm going armadillo hunting at night, then yep, I'll attach a flashlight.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hey durango go hijack someone else's thread lol! i know it's hard when your looking at a thread and a ? pop's in youre brain i catch myself doing it all the time i know some of the stuff i am spending money on is just that but at the end of the day you just got to look good man.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Doh! I did hijack it a bit, didn't I. Sorry man, it wasn't intentional! >.<
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Doh! I did hijack it a bit, didn't I. Sorry man, it wasn't intentional! >.<
It'z all good lol!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Liked 145 Times in 57 Posts

Congrats on the M&P PC purchase.

I just picked up a Magpul sling rail attachment and a Magpul MS-3 sling.The MS-3 sling is convertible from 1 point to 2 point. I like the 2 point.

Should serve me well. Can sling the firearm while walking through the woods or can sling it at the indoor range while firing my pistol. This way I don't have to set the rifle down and keep one eye on it constantly.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; 04-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Bullet,
IMHO, if you want a light get a 220 or more lumen with a bright and strobe, Gander and Cabelas have light mounts that fit most lights for under $30 that will fit great on the rail. Single point slings can be had at Wally for $15, as well as a good enough red dot for under $40. Two days ago I bought new at the LGS a Wyndham Weapons 223-556 Heavy Barrel Carbine, life time warranty for $849 new, the military style model. Don't sink alot of money in a 22LR, it will always be, just a 22LR. Although the M&P 15 is a sweet heart.

O
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default parts

[QUOTE=ouchez;137163700]Bullet,
IMHO, if you want a light get a 220 or more lumen with a bright and strobe, Gander and Cabelas have light mounts that fit most lights for under $30 that will fit great on the rail. Single point slings can be had at Wally for $15, as well as a good enough red dot for under $40. Two days ago I bought new at the LGS a Wyndham Weapons 223-556 Heavy Barrel Carbine, life time warranty for $849 new, the military style model. Don't sink alot of money in a 22LR, it will always be, just a 22LR. Although the M&P 15 is a sweet heart.
I hear you,but i pretty much stick]to my bolts when shooting my centerfires and yes it's because i do not have a ar.