Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation  
Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammobob View Post
I'm sorry that you don't agree. I managed a district at one time in my life, and had close to a dozen stores I was responsible for.

But we chose to keep prices low when everyone else was charging about 20% to 30% more. Customers would consistently tell us they were grateful to us for being fair and loyal to our customers. They would tell us how refreshing it was not to get ripped off. They would recommend us to their friends and family, and we would get their business for life. I refused to rip people off just because everyone else was, or simply because I could.
So how did that model work out for the dozen stores that closed?

Customers were really happy those stores were losing their rears weren't they? Customers don't care if the store makes money.

I'd be happy as heck if the gas station in town only charged a nickel a gallon!! I'd tell all my friends (both of them ) and they'd have a LOT of loyal customers..... Until they went bankrupt.

Bottom line: You sell at a price to make money. Businesses are not in business to make friends.

Sell too high, you lose sales. Sell too low, you lose the store.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation Thoughts on the Ammo Situation  
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I read an interesting story recently that theorized that the shortage in ammo is somewhat caused by people refusing to increase prices. The theory continues that the scalpers have nothing better to do than to buy up all the cheap stuff, creating the shortage. The theory is that if prices were increased across the board, there would be no incentive to scalp.

Not sure I entirely buy into the theory but it is an interesting thought.

And keeping prices low isn't the only guarantee to customer loyalty. I have a fairly new gun shop near work that has kept their prices low, but the place is run by a bunch of kids with no clue about customer service. I'll happily pay higher prices for better service and friendlier people.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Liked 141 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
I read an interesting story recently that theorized that the shortage in ammo is somewhat caused by people refusing to increase prices. The theory continues that the scalpers have nothing better to do than to buy up all the cheap stuff, creating the shortage. The theory is that if prices were increased across the board, there would be no incentive to scalp.

Not sure I entirely buy into the theory but it is an interesting thought.

And keeping prices low isn't the only guarantee to customer loyalty. I have a fairly new gun shop near work that has kept their prices low, but the place is run by a bunch of kids with no clue about customer service. I'll happily pay higher prices for better service and friendlier people.
I've heard similar stories. One is about a musician named Jack White who sold limited release records for $300. Fans were in an uproar. But he said that what generally happens is resellers would buy the albums at regular cost and sell them for $300. Therefore if that's what they're worth, then he should just sell them himself for $300 and cut out the resellers.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Liked 252 Times in 155 Posts

Good article from NPR that hopefully contributes to the discussion here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...age-in-the-u-s
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular View Post
Good article from NPR that hopefully contributes to the discussion here:

Demand For Ammunition Is Up. Why Aren't Prices? : Planet Money : NPR
Just for giggles... I called Bob's. They have no .22LR in stock and not sure when they will. Maybe next week..

Bob's ammo is probably for resale on Armslist.

Benton knows what they are doing.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Liked 183 Times in 111 Posts

NPR??? I wouldn't listen to anything they have to say... Need to watch your back with that organization...
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts

I think this thread has run it's course as far as I am concerned. I thank everyone for their advice, comments, suggestions, and overall, the chance for a new guy to be welcomed and be able to discuss a hot button topic. When it begins to degrade into schoolyard bickering and comments, the real discussion is over.

When I find not just one but several of my non threatening posts, calling for civility, as well as replies that showed my point of view being arbitrarily removed from the thread, and the offensive posts left to speak their mind and derail a good discussion, it is no longer a good discussion.

I don't know why my posts were removed, and I doubt I'll see an answer forthcoming. I wish you all the best, and maybe we will engage in other discussions that do not decline into senseless bickering, and one sided censorship.

I realize this forum is privately owned, and as such I have no real expectation of free speech, but I refuse to continue when my valid contributions to a discussion that I found serious and stimulating are removed without cause, while others views are left on full display, giving me no recourse to defend my position or myself.

Good Hunting and God Bless. - Bob

Last edited by Ammobob; 05-18-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Really?

There have been 32 posts deleted in this thread. 13 were deleted via moderation for off topic chatter and the rest were self imposed deletions by the authors. Two of your postings were deleted via moderation, Bob. See below.

[[ If you don't like it or don't feel it's worth you time to participate, then why are you? Why would you want to force your idea that it should be closed on the rest of us? Nobody is forcing you to read this, or be a part of it. ]]

[[ I find it a little disturbing that some people seem to be on a mission to disrupt this thread or have it shut down. If you don't agree with the discussion, or don't want to participate in the thread, or think it's pointless or foolish or whatever, then why are you here? No one is forcing you to be involved. If I touched a nerve with you, you have the option to excuse yourself from the discussion. Why try so hard to disrupt speech you don't like? ]]

You consider these postings "serious" and "stimulating" to the topic?

If you think it's all one sided... here are posts that were deleted via moderation in that string.

[[ CAN WE PLEASE HAVE THIS USELESS RANT CLOSED? ]]

[[ Is this thread still going on? MY GOD! ]]

[[ Sadly, Yes. But a few of us seem to be doing our part to get it euthanized. ]]

------------------

All of the above is off topic chatter, typically leading to useless bickering. That's why this stuff gets deleted.

Since you think your thread has run it's course, Bob, we'll go ahead and close it.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Closed Thread