Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone?  
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Default Barrel thread adapter anyone?

Hey, so I have just got a 15-22 and had ordered the threaded barrel version.. But that lame horrible store sent me the fixed stock, non threaded version and then refused to fix it!!! (Never buy from grand slam guns! Hahaha). Needless to say I unfixed that stock right away and it took all of 5mins! Haha.

Anywho.. Was just wondering if anyone here uses the thread adapter and if you could post some pictures of the end so I can see what it looks like with the adapter and flash hider mounted. I just want to know if the adapter is noticeable or not, and if you guys are happy with the looks of your adapters? It's certainly cheaper than having the barrel threaded! I can only find one picture online of it assembled, so hit me with as many as you can! Aaaaand go!

Thanks in advance!
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone?  
Liked 109 Times in 64 Posts

If you plan on using a silencer, send it to ADCO and have it threaded..about $65.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Liked 145 Times in 88 Posts

Tacticool22.com makes adapters and other cool parts that let you customize your 15-22 how you want.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman4706 View Post
If you plan on using a silencer, send it to ADCO and have it threaded..about $65.
Agree 100%. They do great, quick work.

If you are even contemplating shooting suppressed, go ahead & thread the barrel. If however you will never do that & only are needing something to look cool, then an adapter would be fine. A suppressed 22 is hard to beat!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Yea not looking for a silencer, just purely for looks right now, and mostly cos I was so furious that the store sent me the entirely wrong rifle!! I don't really like the look of the bare barrel end which is why I ordered and triple checked that it was the threaded version! Too bad the store was full of liars and idiots!

Is that $65 threaded with shipping and everything? My local gunsmith who I used as an FFL to have it delivered said he'd do it for about $140.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhighatrist View Post
Is that $65 threaded with shipping and everything? My local gunsmith who I used as an FFL to have it delivered said he'd do it for about $140.
Does not include freight.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopser...el%20Threading
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Liked 20,629 Times in 5,958 Posts

Some guys like the adapters and they look ok.

Personally, I would not put a gadget like that on my rifle. If I'm going to have anything extend beyond the muzzle on a firearm it's going to be properly threaded. I had one of those "comps" by Volquartsen on my Ruger pistol for a while. Dang near came off. That was the end of my using make-shift gadgets for securing muzzle devices.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:

Like Jim said, that's $65 for the labor. If I remember correctly it's about $30 in shipping round trip.

Also, it will cost an additional $50 to disassemble the upper if you have ADCO do it. I suggest getting the wrench from Tacticool22 to do it yourself. Eventually you will want a different handguard or need to tighten your barrel nut, so you will get more than one use out of it.

Though not always the case, threading a barrel is something I have seen many small shops **** up. It happens even with reputable smiths because it's not something they do every day. Either the threads aren't concentric or the crown looks like poo.

ADCO is definitely the way to go IF you end up getting it threaded. If you just bought the 15-22 barrel nut wrench and used a couple blocks of wood for vise jaws, the whole deal would end up being a little cheaper. Plus you would still have a barrel nut wrench when all said and done.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Hmm, sounds like all in my local gunsmith would be the way to go when I eventually do get that done. Until then I'm considering the adapter. My local smith is definitely not a poor quality guy, and has excellent customer service.. Plus it's 2 mins down the street! Thanks for the tips though guys..

Still have yet to see any more pics of that adapter end though! Haha
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Hey, so I have just got a 15-22 and had ordered the threaded barrel version.. But that lame horrible store sent me the fixed stock, non threaded version and then refused to fix it!!! (Never buy from grand slam guns! Hahaha). Needless to say I unfixed that stock right away and it took all of 5mins! Haha.

Anywho.. Was just wondering if anyone here uses the thread adapter and if you could post some pictures of the end so I can see what it looks like with the adapter and flash hider mounted. I just want to know if the adapter is noticeable or not, and if you guys are happy with the looks of your adapters? It's certainly cheaper than having the barrel threaded! I can only find one picture online of it assembled, so hit me with as many as you can! Aaaaand go!

Thanks in advance!
What state do you live in by the way? If you live in CT, NJ, or MA I think you will have to repin the stock and forget about the muzzle device as S&W makes that just for those states. Changing those parts is illegal. The other 3 states, CA, MD, and CO allow those but limit the mag size (MD says you can buy bigger ones out of state, not sure about the others but likely the same). On the other hand the dealer may just have sent you the most restricive compliant model because they did not know ,or that is all they had, or S&W told them to.

Last edited by photoracer; 07-08-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

One minor correction to Photoracer's post. In Connecticut, you can have a threaded barrel for a suppressor, but that firearm must then be registered as an assault weapon.

You can also have a threaded barrel with a muzzle brake attached, but the brake must be permanently pinned to the barrel and the ends of the pin welded over. Note that a muzzle brake and a flash hider are not the same thing, although at least one manufacturer of 15-22 accessories has previously called their flash hider a brake, to get around such restrictions.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM

I live in CA and had ordered the CA compliant model (6 position stock and threaded barrel), and checked with the dealer several times that is what they were shipping. They were either idiots, liars or they sent my rifle illegally into NY as I received a NY compliant version, and they had mentioned they just shipped one back east also! I'm leaning toward the first two options though! Haha

No need to repin the stock thankfully, and the threading is totally cool in CA! (Hard to believe some states are more oppressive than here! Hahaha). And obviously I'm fully aware of magazine laws in CA (not to mention all other state gun laws that I fully familiarized myself with before even looking into purchasing a firearm, as it should be!!) but thanks for looking out for a fellow owner!

Interestingly I recently learned that in CA you can own, and use high capacity mags, but just not buy/sell/trade/import them! So basically if you had (or say you had) owned the large mags pre-ban then it's all good and you're totally fine! It's silly contradictory gun laws like this that really make no sense and have no impact on crime whatsoever.. Only to us law abiding owners! The only way to effectively implement such a law would be to physically come and remove all large mags from the state... Which would never happen!! As it is I'm fine buying the 10rd long mags, and if **** ever did hit the fan, I know I have the ability to 'modify' them to accept full capacity (but obviously I would never do that at anything short of a full break down of society!)

Anywho, I've decided to go with the adapter (as soon as the wife will allow more funds to be dumped into the rifle!) so I'll update once I have that on and attached!

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Here is a pic. They work just fine for suppressors too. You have to tighten the set screw properly. If you really want to make sure it will not move, use a 1/4" drill and drill just the tip in the center of where the set screw goes so it will have a detent to lock into.
These pics are
The adapter with an A-1 FH
A long shroud with the adapter then the A-2 FH
A long shroud with a "can"
And the 15-22 converted to the M-4 style 2 piece hand guards, just cuz I like to show that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-22 with A2.jpg (98.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 15-22 M4.jpg (147.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Long Shroud -TBE-A2 1.jpg (101.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Long Shroud -TBE-Fake Can 1.jpg (89.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thought I was going to post my pic of a carbon fiber hand guard on mine, but tools got lost in mail. Maybe soon.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the same problem when I ordered my S&W MP15T I ended up with a MP15FT (Fixed stock, unthreaded barrel.) I should not have taken delivery until I inspected it better. Learning experience I guess. Well after researching barrel thread adapters and such, I just spent time researching local gunsmiths and found a guy to do it for 60.00 here in IL. I purchased a comp, and had him install it as well. It turned out nice.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Looks great.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM

That's awesome! $60 is a good price. I'll have to do more research to see if I can find a price similar. I only asked the FFL/gunsmith who took delivery of it for me after I ordered it (was kinda hoping he'd give me a better price given the hell I went through receiving the wrong item!), but I totally understand that time is money, and some people's time is worth more than others!

Where did you get that comp and how much? Looks really nice!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went with the Griffin Armament M4SDII flash comp. It was 89.00 but it comes very well recommended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnLa_ZPxuc
Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone? Barrel thread adapter anyone?  
Liked 1,271 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
That's awesome! $60 is a good price. I'll have to do more research to see if I can find a price similar. I only asked the FFL/gunsmith who took delivery of it for me after I ordered it (was kinda hoping he'd give me a better price given the hell I went through receiving the wrong item!), but I totally understand that time is money, and some people's time is worth more than others!
Where did you get that comp and how much? Looks really nice!
I would highly recommend that you see the "gunsmith's" final product ( threaded barrel ), but it would not be on MY barrel, till I saw his work. A lathe does not mean you know how to use it correctly, in the past 2 months one barrel was done and had to be redone correctly, the second did not even try to do it in 2 1/2 weeks. I have found a local machine shop that repaired the one barrel, and is doing another. $50 or $150 does not matter if it is not centered to the bore, or the thread are not correct. Invest carefully and wisely. Be Safe,

Last edited by vipermd; 08-23-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 08-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3F View Post
I went with the Griffin Armament M4SDII flash comp. It was 89.00 but it comes very well recommended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnLa_ZPxuc
Comps that are designed for 5.56 are basically useless on a .22 LR. Because of the reduced amount of gas a good .22 comp needs big ports but not a lot of them. Little ports on top do absolutely nothing.The little Nordic tactical comp for for $27 works better than 95% of all the 5.56 comps out there. From my original tests on the 15-22 only the Allchin comps do more than the little Nordic one, because they were designed specifically for tactical .22s.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Comps that are designed for 5.56 are basically useless on a .22 LR. Because of the reduced amount of gas a good .22 comp needs big ports but not a lot of them. Little ports on top do absolutely nothing.The little Nordic tactical comp for for $27 works better than 95% of all the 5.56 comps out there. From my original tests on the 15-22 only the Allchin comps do more than the little Nordic one, because they were designed specifically for tactical .22s.
I agree with most of the technical stuff about porting, Etc.
But a brake that has a large chamber with a smaller exit hole can have a bunch of little holes that equal the area of a few large holes.
Ours changes the sound by killing the first nasty crack by toning it down and making the sound last longer.
We have seen that for every caliber from .17 to .375