Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Notices

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 28,617 Times in 5,154 Posts
Default If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story

Leather Pic in Post 77

If a man can dream it.....He ought to be able to build it!

Well Boys,

The ol man has reached his pinnacle....My last everyday carry revolver, ever.......Mabee.

After years of searching far and wide for the perfect specimen for my special conversion and
the roundin up of the various accouterments to finish this quest. It has been quite the journey, to say the least.

A very special thank you to all that helped to make this one come about.

Home, I'm home at last.

Back in the spring I lead-off with a lit'l sneak preview of where I was headed with this one....

The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

She has finally come to fruition. Genie or no Genie, I have found my way clear.

This here gal is jest singing my song..........

Oh, Jeff Beck is some more guitar picker

Last edited by keith44spl; 08-16-2016 at 08:20 AM.
The Following 119 Users Like Post:
-db-, 05CarbonDRZ, 1blindref, 29aholic, 2hawk, 410bore, 5thcommjarhead, 992B, A10, Andy Griffith, arjay, b.guggenmos, bamabiker, beagleye, Big Fred, Biginge, bigmitty, Bill Bates, BillyMagg, bmcgilvray, bubbajoe45, Calaveras Slim, calmex, casualoffender, charlie sherrill, chud333, Collects, COYOTEHUNTER, crsides, Dan M, Davwingman, delta-419, devilfrog1911, DGT, ditrina, Doublegunner, Duke44, EdF702, ffmedic, firemanhank, Frank46, frankynohankypanky, GF, gizamo, GJH77, GPJohn, Green Frog, gripper, GunguyDan, H Richard, Homie, Iggy, j38, Jaffo, Jebus35745, JEECEE 9mm, jhde69, JJEH, Joe Kent, kframeman, klind45, ladder13, lawandorder, LeBur, Lee's Landing Billy, LEO918, les.b, LoadedRound, LOBO, long colt frazier, lowhog, m l mosley, mark44spec, Maximumbob54, Mike, SC Hunter, moosedog, Mule Packer, Muley Gil, mxbob, nedlate, Nedroe, neubert500, Ngtdog, Old Seabee, Old TexMex, PH-2, Poohgyrr, Professor Frink, RABULL, rags, rbswede, Rick Bowles, ringo1597, RKmesa, SAFireman, savage99nc, semperfi71, shawn mccarver, shouldazagged, singleshot1, smitholdtimer, snake803, snowman.45, SteveA, StevieC, Tadeus67, Tex1001, TheHobbyist, tlay, tom32, tops, Toyman, Twogunnes, Wingmaster, Wiregrassguy, wlp624, Wyo, Xfuzz, Zebadiah
Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
SWCA Member
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 2,071 Times in 590 Posts

There is something about takin' a gun and makin' it your own. That's a dandy.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM
SWCA Member
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 670 Times in 281 Posts

Simply stunning (both your dream gun and Jeff Beck)!
S&WCA #2620
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 5,696 Times in 848 Posts

WOW - I'm speechless.
(Great music link as well)
SWCA #2727 , SWHF #435
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
SWCA Member
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

As Elmer Keith's original article about the RM suggested it be made in 44 Special, I think he would approve.

It is beautiful, and appears very well done. I hope you get many years of use out of it, and I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Liked 26,407 Times in 8,418 Posts
Default If A Man Can Dream It...........A Lit'l Story of RM 141

That is very nice! (so's the girl).
Can't wait to see the leather.

Last edited by arjay; 09-17-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:53 PM
SWCA Member
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 5,302 Times in 1,516 Posts

WOW! You did a fine job creating a one of a kind (for now anyway) Now the question is.....how do she shoot?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Liked 299 Times in 142 Posts

Sir,
I am extremely interested in this build,looks great with the partridge sight and a great finish job near impossible to tell it was ever refinished. Is that chrome or nickel ? Looks to be hard chrome but it's hard to tell without actually seeing it.

Did you come across the frame and the idea developed out of that? Where you find the frame and what caliber and barrel length did it start life as, who put it together...so much to know and so little time.

What a beautiful piece, perfect caliber, perfect barrel length, perfect sights, and the best american steel ever made.

Don't mean to pry, just looking for my next project, as my children are all payed off, yep just made the last payment, unless they opt out for Graduate school. Ah, shoot they can get a loan.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,367 Times in 4,300 Posts

Patridge sight, I see....and a lovely pair of Mr. Browns magnas to boot! Nicely completed Mr. Keith!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Liked 173 Times in 79 Posts

Your linked post makes no sense to me, what exactly am I looking at? Is this something you put together in your home shop? The finished product is very nice.

Chris
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
US Veteran
Liked 5,919 Times in 1,761 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes, I hope this is just a tease and that more photos and info will be forthcoming.
SWHF #448
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penmon View Post
Sir,
I am extremely interested in this build,looks great with the partridge sight and a great finish job near impossible to tell it was ever refinished. Is that chrome or nickel ? Looks to be hard chrome but it's hard to tell without actually seeing it.

Did you come across the frame and the idea developed out of that? Where you find the frame and what caliber and barrel length did it start life as, who put it together...so much to know and so little time.

What a beautiful piece, perfect caliber, perfect barrel length, perfect sights, and the best american steel ever made.

Don't mean to pry, just looking for my next project, as my children are all payed off, yep just made the last payment, unless they opt out for Graduate school. Ah, shoot they can get a loan.

Well Sir,

I picked-up this 1935 Registered Magnum from a feller on the forum here, a few years ago....
Gathered up a 44 Special barrel, a pair of sterling silver medallions for the Keith Brown stocks.

Cut the 44 barrel back to fit all my carry holsters and milled out a sight base with a patridge blade.

Oh, while I was at it, I bobbed the .357 barrel back to 4 inches.
Kept that barrel and cylinder in tact, if I ever want to return to the .357 cartridge again.

Here's a before pic, it had been back to Smith and had the barrel cut from 8 3/4 to 5 1/2 and a so-so re-blue job.

before_zps91484448.png Photo by keith44spl | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/keith44spl/before_zps91484448.p@@AMEPARAM@@420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/keith44spl/before_zps91484448.p

Imposed on my Ol Pard in Newville, Alabama for a 1st class plus nickle job,
(I gotta send him a country ham for Christmas).

Su Amigo,
Dave

Last edited by keith44spl; 09-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Liked 299 Times in 142 Posts

Thank you, just perfect ... What a great job.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *chris* View Post
Your linked post makes no sense to me, what exactly am I looking at? Is this something you put together in your home shop? The finished product is very nice.

Chris

Well Chris,

The linked post was entered on April 1st of this year....As some do,
we old fellers have a little fun with each other and the newbies as well, around that time.

I'm old and have spent my life, having grand adventures, one right after another.
I ain't famous and don't have any money to speak of, but I am as rich as any king, with friends far and wide.

So, welcome to my world, where dreams and fantasies do sumtimes come true!

Su Amigo,
Dave

P.S. About that April Fools Day thing....I weren't kidding none

Last edited by keith44spl; 09-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Liked 508 Times in 188 Posts
Default dream

wow! what a dream come true, mighty pretty piece,
also I enjoyed the story almost as much.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Lordy mercy, Dave. You're livin' proof that in order to have it, you gotta give it away. That is a dream come true. I can't wait to see the leather that goes with it, but would almost be a shame to cover that RM.
Yep, it'll be a good campfire the evening that story gets told.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,724 Times in 1,519 Posts

Speechless. Love it!!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Liked 28,236 Times in 5,273 Posts

Neat thing is, I'll bet/hope I'll get to see that rascal personal in a week or two.

Hot Damm!!!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

Ya got 'yaself a winner there, Dave. Congrats. Hang than 'un in one 'o yur fancy rigs next trip to town and you'll turn some heads.

Bob
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Liked 90 Times in 28 Posts

That's the revolver they SHOULD have made. Granted, the .357 has its place, but the .44 Special has a very special place in the hearts of many, including my own.

My hat is off to you, sir. You have created a masterpiece.

David
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 45,773 Times in 4,820 Posts
Cool SPECTACULAR!!!

Dave:

I love that you share your projects with the rest of us. Although there is now one less pre-war 357 in the world today, I would not complain too loudly if'n that 44 wanted to come live in my safe. BUT, I may have to separate it from the other RM's on account that there may be a brawl break out...

Thanks again for sharing,
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Absent Comrade
Liked 3,729 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
(so's the girl).
She must be good, I hear three part harmony with only one singer!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Liked 5,883 Times in 1,249 Posts

My goodness! You got 'er done! I am lookin' forward to seein' it but fair warnin' - I have its cousin in Colt 45, and ya might hafta fight me to get it back if I ever git my hands on it! The two of 'em would make a world-class pair!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM
If A Man Can Dream It....An RM Story  
Liked 8,236 Times in 2,168 Posts

Dave, that looks great. I saw where you said you cut the barrel back so it would fit your carry holsters but I think that one deserves something special wrapped around it.
Be sure to include pictures if you decide to cobble one up.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Wyo,

Ya know, I see these things in my minds eye long before any action takes place.

Course the 44 Special is a family tradition around my camp.

A lit'l side story

A few years ago, we were attending a small country church and during announcements
the preacher would recognize those in attendance who would be celebrating a birthday or such events...

Well my darling wife was having a birthday that very day.
The preacher asked her if she would like to tell how old she might be...With a quick glance at yours-truly,
she proudly announced she was 44 & Special.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Liked 1,577 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith44spl;137441122 [URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/keith44spl/media/d449e757-8378-4349-a4f4-233a7a6c170a_zps41ce290b.jpg.html
[/URL]

Hot Damn. I mean, HOT DAMN!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 9,875 Times in 1,986 Posts

Well, you've done gone and done it. Beautiful.

Charlie
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned
Liked 3,242 Times in 1,100 Posts

Great job Dave!!! You gonna stitch up some new skin for that instead of some of that raggedy stuff you got layin around?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Liked 147 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith44spl View Post

WOW! Just WOW, Love that thing!!!!
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
US Veteran
Liked 1,029 Times in 351 Posts

Simply said, it really doesn't get any better than that. You've got more than a Smith & Wesson on your hands now. Thanks for sharing the story and pics,

Jerry
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,470 Posts

That's one fine looking shooter. Let me know when the leather is ready and I'll bring the brisket and mesquite wood.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Liked 19,404 Times in 4,090 Posts

A legendary gun .. Made by a Legend his ownself....

SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP

Last edited by ditrina; 09-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Liked 28,236 Times in 5,273 Posts

Yeh, but do we dare disuss the legend of that moss horned ol codger in public?
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Ah,
Come on fellers...

Y'all know that,
I've had to hold up at an undisclosed location after that last lit'l deal,
what with that poster picture and all...........

Them geriatric badge bunnies....Wouldn't let me alone.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Liked 153 Times in 45 Posts

Dave

That is just outstanding! a combination,two of my favorite calibers not to leave out the third .45 colt. I have said this before got to admire a man who has a vision and makes it happen. I could also see that with some Steer Head Ivory grips as well!

Thanks Rusty
Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,498 Posts

Now THAT there's a Bar-B-Que gun!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,639 Times in 580 Posts

Dave, very,very neat gun. Once again you have proven you are dangerous to my wallet, I've been down in my gunroom eyeballin' a couple of Kansas City pre-war magnums and thinking, What if? Thanks again for sharing. All my very best, Joe.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Joe,

Ya know, when a feller takes one that's already been re-finished, cut off and is just a shooter as best.....

What's the harm in making it, the best shooter it can be?

Joe, I've saw pictures of a few of your's....
And you know what I'm sayin',
Sometimes we got to just please our own-selves.

Oh, I'm fixin to shooter today....Watch for the report

All By Best
Su Amigo,
Dave
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,131 Times in 4,801 Posts

Great looking work by all three - machinist, stockmaker, and nickel plater. Very nice!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,639 Times in 580 Posts

Dave, wish I could be shooting with you. Maybe someday. While I don't know if it ever could happen, it sure would be a great time to have a bunch of our forum friends to a big Barbecue/shootin' wingding. Great company,good shootin' and tall tales and good people, what more could we want. All my very best my friend, Joe.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,367 Times in 4,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kent View Post
Dave, wish I could be shooting with you. Maybe someday. While I don't know if it ever could happen, it sure would be a great time to have a bunch of our forum friends to a big Barbecue/shootin' wingding. Great company,good shootin' and tall tales and good people, what more could we want. All my very best my friend, Joe.
ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Honestly though, I think it would be great if we could stage the S&W Forum Members International Barbeque and B.S. Session......hopefully on a gun range somewheres.....
Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Liked 1,832 Times in 701 Posts

I don't post a lot around here, but this takes the cake!

There've been some nice guns around here over the years, and some spectacular ones. That one's in the spectacular category and it's on the top of the pile along with Onomea's Bowen 45 Colt!

Like others I can't wait to see the leather you come up with for that one!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts

Dave:

That's an exceptionally nice piece of work there.

Did you checker the barrel's rib to match the top of the frame?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Liked 1,578 Times in 912 Posts

Nice wood.
Seriously, very nice stocks on a very nice Smith.
That could very well be my new grail gun.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Liked 1,578 Times in 912 Posts

You oughta get another one and have a pic taken of you in uniform with them both, like with the 1911s.
Nothing against 1911s. In fact, they're my favorite bottom feeder.
It's just that there's nothing like big-bore N-frame goodness.
N-frames with .44 or .45 caliber holes are the epitome of revolvers.
Or, is that just me?

Would I be correct in guessing that you're a Texas Ranger?
Your uniform doesn't look like ND, WI or WI to me. Neither does the shield or the double rig.

That's a sweet rig. That would definitely be my barbecue rig, if I had more than one 1911.
I'd like to have another 1911, but I'm a bit obsessed with I, J, K, L, and N frame Smiths, right now.
The older I get, the more I like not having to chase brass.
Plus, old Colt and Smith revolvers have a class and beauty that NO auto can match.

I need to call that guy who has the 1953 38/44 Outdoorsman.
I'm tempted to make it into a .44 Spl. After all, it IS my favorite revolver cartridge, and always has been.

Last edited by Jaymo; 09-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W ucla View Post
WOW! You did a fine job creating a one of a kind (for now anyway)

Now the question is.....how do she shoot?

Wells,

For an ol man....At gun fightin range,

I believe, she'll do alright

50 ft. two hands standin,

Jacks er better to open

Su Amigo,
Dave
Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post

Would I be correct in guessing that you're a Texas Ranger?

No Sir, I'm not a Ranger,
although I been accused of being the 'Long Ranger' by the defense counsel a time er two.

(Actually a special investigator for a DAs office.)

Got a pic with revolvers somewhere....Those pictures were done on a lark...

Just for the amusement and fun of a bunch of other ol codgers here's abouts,
who will remain nameless....Sal....Iggy...Wyo and the rest of you, ya know who you are...

Poster,

Su Amigo,
Dave

Last edited by keith44spl; 09-30-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Liked 19,404 Times in 4,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith44spl View Post
Wells,

For an ol man....At gun fightin range,

I believe, she'll do alright

50 ft. two hands standin,

Jacks er better to open

Su Amigo,
Dave
I FOLD
SWCA #2306
DAV in honor of POP
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Liked 177 Times in 50 Posts

Sweet custom. I rue the day I passed on a cut barrel pre war non reg for like $650 a few years back. The possibilities would have been endless. I still have a beater re-nickel HD that I'm gonna get bored out one day.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,226 Posts

Just a short philosophical note about the whole concept (with which I most heartedly agree.) You started with arguably one of the two or three most significant models of S&W ever made, and changed it. Some collectors might run from the room screaming "Heresy!" but I feel like you have made a significant improvement with that specific gun to raise it to a whole new level. Should you start with an RM as your "donor gun?" I'll quote Hallmark, "When you care enough to send the very best." Well done!

Best regards,
Froggie
The Following 8 Users Like Post: