Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available  
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
To me, the skateboard tape looks far worse than any minuscule marks that might appear on the lower.
Yea but the tape pulls off in two seconds no need to mar the finish when it is easily avoidable. But then you probabaly never wash your car either
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available  
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogg View Post
Yea but the tape pulls off in two seconds no need to mar the finish when it is easily avoidable. But then you probabaly never wash your car either
Mine doesn't get dirty; it wouldn't dare!!!!!

Again, 5k through mine with the previous deflector and no marks of any kind on the lower. A solution in search of a problem ...
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogg View Post
But then you probabaly never wash your car either
Nope. Wash 'em once & then they expect it every week.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
Nope. Wash 'em once & then they expect it every week.
And it's even worse if you vacuum the mats!!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Liked 231 Times in 111 Posts

SWS,

If you make a brass catcher with the same basic design, put me down for one. Good job.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

I would love one if there was a quick catch or something so it could flip up and out of the way of the chamber. I checked the range rules and my range requires a chamber flag. Not sure if the popsicle stick idea would work or not.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero View Post
I would love one if there was a quick catch or something so it could flip up and out of the way of the chamber. I checked the range rules and my range requires a chamber flag. Not sure if the popsicle stick idea would work or not.
Sure it works. Otherwise I would not have suggested it. Whether or not your range will accept it is another matter. FWIW, a chamber flag is anything that keeps the bolt from closing completely and extends from the ejection port.

My range doesn't require them; the ROs actually LOOK at the ejector port to confirm the firearm is safe.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
Sure it works. Otherwise I would not have suggested it. Whether or not your range will accept it is another matter. FWIW, a chamber flag is anything that keeps the bolt from closing completely and extends from the ejection port.

My range doesn't require them; the ROs actually LOOK at the ejector port to confirm the firearm is safe.
I figured it would "work" but like you said not sure if they will accept it. It would seem fine to me but there still could be a round in the chamber. With the stick there and port open there would be no way for the firing pin to strike, however I could see the stick getting knocked out then your locked and loaded. I'll have to find out I guess. I'm not even a member there yet. Start building my house just a mile down the road this spring and will join up then.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Liked 364 Times in 184 Posts

Just following up to see how everyone is liking their Brass Deflector.

The next run will be available towards the end of this week. I just dropped off the parts for anodizing today. When the next batch is ready I will send out emails to those on the notification list first, then update this thread and my classifieds ad.

If you would like to be added to the notification list you send an email to [email protected]
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this batch.

Can't wait to try it out!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM
US Veteran
Liked 959 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero View Post
I figured it would "work" but like you said not sure if they will accept it. It would seem fine to me but there still could be a round in the chamber. With the stick there and port open there would be no way for the firing pin to strike, however I could see the stick getting knocked out then your locked and loaded. I'll have to find out I guess. I'm not even a member there yet. Start building my house just a mile down the road this spring and will join up then.
You make sure there isn't a round in the chamber, insert the stick, close the bolt on the stick. This does two things: shows the RO that you've checked your chamber, and with the bolt 95% closed, there is no way a round would become chambered even if your stick falls out somehow.

Oh, and SWS, I am very pleased with my deflector! :-)

Last edited by Jyezahn; 03-25-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 AM
SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

Liking mine, really nice not to get pelted with brass anymore while shooting inside a tight shooting lane. (indoor range)

Thanks for bringing it to market.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleWeaponSolutions View Post

The next run will be available towards the end of this week. I just dropped off the parts for anodizing today. When the next batch is ready I will send out emails to those on the notification list first, then update this thread and my classifieds ad.

If you would like to be added to the notification list you send an email to [email protected]
What are the chances of getting this anodized to red? Planning on getting Tacticool's red charging handle and think this might go well with it in red. =)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
US Veteran
Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts

Some cool stuff on the simple solutions web site. Every time I click on something it is out of stock
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Liked 122 Times in 69 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
I've put several thousand rounds through mine since installing the brass deflector, and 100% happy.

I still have it installed flush with the end of the sloped portion of the picatinney rail and it's worked perfectly and no problems with marks on the upper either.

If it had a QD on the mount it would be even better, for cleaning and removal when necessary but that would add cost and isn't necessary.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

how much would one of these be delivered to the UK plz ?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyezahn View Post
Oh, and SWS, I am very pleased with my deflector! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt50 View Post
Liking mine, really nice not to get pelted with brass anymore while shooting inside a tight shooting lane. (indoor range)

Thanks for bringing it to market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax View Post
I've put several thousand rounds through mine since installing the brass deflector, and 100% happy.

I still have it installed flush with the end of the sloped portion of the picatinney rail and it's worked perfectly and no problems with marks on the upper either.

If it had a QD on the mount it would be even better, for cleaning and removal when necessary but that would add cost and isn't necessary.
Thanks for the feedback and I am very happy that you find it useful and like it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiQNeZZ View Post
What are the chances of getting this anodized to red? Planning on getting Tacticool's red charging handle and think this might go well with it in red. =)
PM inbound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_UK View Post
how much would one of these be delivered to the UK plz ?
PM Inbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule69 View Post
Some cool stuff on the simple solutions web site. Every time I click on something it is out of stock
I am always on the hunt for innovative products that fills a real need with the AR15 and the 15-22. Especially for the Left handed and Ambidextrous shooters. Right now several items are out of stock due to waiting on manufactures / distributors getting product back in stock.

With any luck I will be restocking inventory in the next couple of weeks and will have a few new items added soon. One of the new items is made specifically for the 15-22 will be available tomorrow evening, I will start a new thread for that one.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

This may be an odd question and may not be a popular option but do you have any plans to make an optional brass catcher that could attach to this? I actually save my 22 brass and this deflector combined with some sort of catcher would be amazing even if it was just a bag with a small frame to keep it open that could have hooks to hang on the vents in the catcher
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

+1

actually a brass catcher would safe me from sweeping up the brass
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Cool

Yo, SWS, you owe "The Ampersand" a commision!

I just read about this on their weekly forum update/email, and snapped one up!

After reading a bit of this thread, it looks like I timed it well, as the site
now shows them in stock.

Seems to me to be a handy thing for out at the range, but
what caused this impulse buy was that it looks bitchen!

I just can't pass up the opportunity to tart up my ol' 15-22,
now can I?

I can't wait `til it gets here, thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_USA View Post
Yo, SWS, you owe "The Ampersand" a commision!

I just read about this on their weekly forum update/email, and snapped one up!

After reading a bit of this thread, it looks like I timed it well, as the site
now shows them in stock.

Seems to me to be a handy thing for out at the range, but
what caused this impulse buy was that it looks bitchen!

I just can't pass up the opportunity to tart up my ol' 15-22,
now can I?

I can't wait `til it gets here, thanks!
X2!!! Seen it on the Ampersand! Ordered one and looking forward to it. Tired of .22 brass flying everywhere! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice piece, ordered one myself!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default ampersand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysrpilot View Post
X2!!! Seen it on the Ampersand! Ordered one and looking forward to it. Tired of .22 brass flying everywhere! Thanks!
also saw it on ampersand. Probably would have never found it except for that.

Last edited by jsdavidson; 03-28-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM

The Brass Deflectors are back in stock. I just finished processing all the orders for the Brass Deflectors and Ambidextrous Latches, and they will ship out tomorrow morning.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

Just got my tracking email. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdavidson View Post
This may be an odd question and may not be a popular option but do you have any plans to make an optional brass catcher that could attach to this? I actually save my 22 brass and this deflector combined with some sort of catcher would be amazing even if it was just a bag with a small frame to keep it open that could have hooks to hang on the vents in the catcher
I was looking at making a brass catcher and reusing the mount from the brass deflector, but I didn't come up with any options that I really liked. I did not think about repurposing the shield to mount a bag to it. That may make things much easier to work with and I will revisit the idea when I have more time to work up a couple of designs and figure out where I can have a brass catcher bag made.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Those old style drawstring bags that dice used to come in might be a starting point.

I may give that a whirl my ownself, as I got the deflector the other day, and it bolted
on very nicely in less than 2 minutes!

Can't wait to give it some test firing, but that doesn't look likely until next weekend.

It surely looks cool, I gotta say...
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_USA View Post
Those old style drawstring bags that dice used to come in might be a starting point.

I may give that a whirl my ownself, as I got the deflector the other day, and it bolted
on very nicely in less than 2 minutes!

Can't wait to give it some test firing, but that doesn't look likely until next weekend.

It surely looks cool, I gotta say...
I think I may have come up with a feasible idea. When I get time I will put together a prototype and see how it works out.

Also, glad to hear you like the brass deflector.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does this only work on the 15-22? What about a 5.56/.223 version?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM

This will only work on the 15-22. The larger .223/5.56 casing will most likely not be able to fully eject
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Received mine the other day...!!!
Love the look... Cant wait to try it out,,,
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Received mine the other week. Love it. Keeps the brass nice and tidy and the guy 4 lanes over isn't being pelted with it anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

payment sent for one (now to figure how to make one for my 10-22)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

And she's on

Beautiful piece!

Now to get some range time and test it out
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Liked 69 Times in 17 Posts

Have mine installed! I like having all the brass spit into a pile right at my feet.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM

TylorR & zerofournine, those rifles are looking good! And good to hear you are happy with the deflectors.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
US Veteran
Liked 260 Times in 151 Posts

Question... every now and then, my brass deflector send the shell casing back into the chamber. Is this normal?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM
SWS Brass Deflector is now available SWS Brass Deflector is now available  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

I have had brass bounce off a wall and cause a stoppage, It happens. (lil' things end up in the weirdest places sometimes )

I have not seen an increase in stoppages caused by the deflector. But I have not tried every type of ammo out there. YMMV
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Question... every now and then, my brass deflector send the shell casing back into the chamber. Is this normal?
I have had this happen occasionally, but it is easy to clear. Is it happening a lot?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
US Veteran

It happens several times during each range visit. I guess I will have to keep a record of when, how many times, and what kinds of ammo.

Well... it's another reason to go to the range. It's not just shooting, it's "research" :-)

I do know that never happened before installing the brass deflector, and stopped when I removed it.

Last edited by Freeway; 04-21-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM

I would say there's something wrong with the installation, although I am a loss as to what. I've put about 600 rounds through my 15-22 since I put the deflector on and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM
US Veteran

It could be the ammo, as some have longer cases than others. Winchester M22 is shorter than CCI Stinger, for example. This difference in length can make a difference in how the case strikes the deflector, and depending on angle... well, you know.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 AM
US Veteran

Not sure how much can go wrong with the installation. Besides, I have about 20 years as an aircraft mechanic, and several years working with motion simulators, projection systems (IMAX, etc), special effects, and all kinds of other things. One screw to mount the base to the rail, and two screws to mount the deflector to the base.

I have never used CCI Stingers (have some on order, but they may not show for awhile). Looking over my shooting log, the times it happened most were with Golden Bullets.

I'll mount it back up, and try again this week with different ammo. I have some CCI Blazer, Remington Target, CCI Tactical, and Federal Champion rounds I can try. Maybe the deflector just hates Golden Bullets!

This "research" could be grueling and take many, many trips to the range! The sacrifice must be made for science. :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Does the brass hit your hand when shooting? I wanna purchase this but I spent quite a bit of money on stuff this pay period. Need to wait til the first lol. My mailman hates me.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Not sure how much can go wrong with the installation. Besides, I have about 20 years as an aircraft mechanic, and several years working with motion simulators, projection systems (IMAX, etc), special effects, and all kinds of other things. One screw to mount the base to the rail, and two screws to mount the deflector to the base.

I have never used CCI Stingers (have some on order, but they may not show for awhile). Looking over my shooting log, the times it happened most were with Golden Bullets.

I'll mount it back up, and try again this week with different ammo. I have some CCI Blazer, Remington Target, CCI Tactical, and Federal Champion rounds I can try. Maybe the deflector just hates Golden Bullets!

This "research" could be grueling and take many, many trips to the range! The sacrifice must be made for science. :-)
I highly doubt that it is installed wrong. One of the things I was thinking that may be the issue, is how the rifle is being held. If you have it rolled over slightly, perhaps the brass is bouncing off the shield and back into the chamber, instead of dropping down. If you are still having issues when the next batch is done in a week or two, I will send you a replacement, it could be the shield is not bent correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatedheavy View Post
Does the brass hit your hand when shooting? I wanna purchase this but I spent quite a bit of money on stuff this pay period. Need to wait til the first lol. My mailman hates me.
The brass would only hit your hand if you are holding the rifle by the magwell or in that general area.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Liked 1,125 Times in 563 Posts

i just bought my 15-22 on saturday...once the wife give me back my money/debit card/ credit card..i'll be getting one of these...

i'm not a lefty, but my daughter is and she will be shooting this on occasion...and it would be nice in an outdoor setting to have everything nicely at your feet. i like to pick up my brass wherever i go...especially outside.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
I highly doubt that it is installed wrong. One of the things I was thinking that may be the issue, is how the rifle is being held. If you have it rolled over slightly, perhaps the brass is bouncing off the shield and back into the chamber, instead of dropping down. If you are still having issues when the next batch is done in a week or two, I will send you a replacement, it could be the shield is not bent correctly.
I don't think I am rolling the weapon while shooting. The next time I go to the range, I will try to pay attention to that (if I am rolling it, and in what direction).

Thank you for the replacement offer! Hopefully that will not be needed. Maybe it really was the Golden Bullets. One thing I noticed about that ammunition was that while they fired with few malfunctions, the sound constantly changed. Kind of like the power was different between rounds. None of the other ammo I have tried changes pitch like that.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM

It could be the golden bullets. If you have some different ammo, try that out side by side with the golden bullets to see if there is a difference.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
US Veteran

Also, one thing that MAY play a part, and could just be one element of the perfect storm: Is it mounted on the last slot, or one slot forward? This would change the location of the deflector cutouts, and if you tie that in with different ammo, you get slightly different results. I'd say, to "research", fire 100 rds of your golden bullets with the deflector in its current position. Record the results. Then, move the deflector one slot forward (if it's already on the last slot) or one slot back. Then fire another 100 rds of the same ammo and record the results. Since you mentioned the sound changing erratically with that ammo, I'd guess that probably has a lot to do with it... inconsistent loads.

Then, when you get some different ammo, run the same tests as above. :-D
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM
US Veteran

Well... I'm all out of Golden Bullets. They did fire without many errors, but were dirty, and the differing sounds indicate inconsistency, so I will not likely buy more in the future.

I do have several different types to try, and hope to do just that this week.

I had the deflector mounted in the last slot (the base plate was flush with the end of the rail), and have mounted it that way again.

Here is a photo of the deflector mounted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (193.8 KB, 68 views)