Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle  
Liked 782 Times in 261 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 1st rifle

Any advice or suggestions ? I'm thinking of a 22lr to take the grandkids out, I already have a M&P 22C but thinking a rifle might be more fun. I own several pistols but just in the mood for something different. Also if you know of the best places with the best prices to purchase from that would also be helpful.

TIA, John
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle Thinking of buying 1st rifle  
Liked 8,496 Times in 2,835 Posts

I have a Remington 597 in .22LR and love it. It's a semi-automatic as well but way less expensive than the 15-22. And I'm not too worried about it getting "beat up" by the kids

The standard 597 goes for $199, the standard (black) 15-22 for $449 and the 15-22 A1 (black) for $479. Shipping is $40 CONUS.

I can get the other 15-22 models as well, incl. Performance Center and TALO.

Last edited by JJEH; 04-22-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

.22lr is a great caliber to take the grand kids out depending on their ages. (That would sound terrible out of context)

Pretty much everyone here will suggest the 15-22 for a semi-auto plinker. It's a great little rifle that put most of our 10-22's in the back corner of the safe. Palmetto State Armory sells the standard model with threaded barrel for $299 when it's in stock.

When I first started shooting with my Papa, all I wanted to shoot was the lever guns and an old model 62a pump. It might be a good idea to see what they are interested in shooting before buying.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,326 Posts

I would look at a bolt gun as well. A lot fewer limits on ammo choices.

I have a 10/22 takedown, which I enjoy. Never have felt the need to have an AR style .22, as I really don't have a use for one.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

Can't go wrong with the 15-22, but if you'd prefer something more traditional looking then a Ruger 10-22 is the way to go. On the bolt action side I can't recommend Ruger's All American 22 rifle enough. Takes the same mags as the 10-22 which is nice.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Liked 8,496 Times in 2,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
Palmetto State Armory sells the standard model with threaded barrel for $299 when it's in stock.
That's a heck of a deal.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Liked 8,229 Times in 3,719 Posts

Whatever you can get the best deal on...bolt and single shots are classic beginner guns because of the single shot safety thing, but if you only load one round in a repeater it becomes just as safe.
My first 22 and the one I taught my kids with is a Ruger 10/22, but what I have always wanted was a lever action, like the Marlin or Henry.
Whatever you get the grand kids will love it..... Going shooting with Paw Paw will be some of their fondest memories.
Gary
Old 04-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

WARNING........DO NOT BUY THE S&W 15-22!!!!!

I cannot stress that enough.....a rash impulsive purchase of the 15-22 will lead to a very serious addiction...addiction to add-ons, custom what-nots...and a whole host of tactical doodads.

Seeing a spare bit of quad rail is enough tip a normal gun owner over the edge, in a futile bid to curb the urge to occupy said barren space with stuff and things.

Not to mention the amount of ammunition this thing eats, it has a monster appetite, which knows no bounds....some people have been known to acquire a tactical torch/laser combo, which allows them to shoot before dawn and after dusk. Which has led to the breakdown of families, the loss of jobs and RSI in the trigger finger.

This rifle is FUN and FUN is dangerous and expensive...that being said....ive got to go....my 15-22 is knocking on the safe door, she wants to go play
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Liked 10,897 Times in 3,665 Posts

I've had a Ruger 10-22 for 30-some years. When it came time to buy a plinker for my son I got him a Ruger SR10-22 (AR version). But lately a 16" Henry lever gun has been my favorite.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 PM
US Veteran
Liked 191,780 Times in 37,051 Posts

All good choices. Consider a lever action .22. As with the others, you can load them one round at a time but, as opposed to a semi, you have to physically chamber a round in the lever gun. If you do load the tube there is less chance of AD than with a semi.(especially with excited kids)

Besides, what kid doesn't like a cowboy gun.

Have fun with them youngins.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Back in the dark ages when I was a kid, a lever action would have been just wonderful. Today? It depends on the kids. Most are constantly on their phones & playing games. For some, the "cool" factor of shooting a 15-22 might be a factor in getting their interest & keeping it.

Lots of things about the AR platform make it easier for a kid to shoot. An adjustable stock is really helpful for kids as is a pistol grip. A red dot is much easier to train than iron sights too.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts

Adding a slide fire will surely get and keep their attention... Only if you can afford to feed the thing.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts

A really fun gun for kids (and adults) is the Browning BuckMark Rifle.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Liked 782 Times in 261 Posts

Lots of good advice and now I'm leaning towards a lever action, thanks for all the great replies.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

I bought a Ruger American rimfire compact for my grandsons. You can purchase full size stock modules to convert it to an adult size rifle when the time comes. The accuracy is outstanding and will put a M&P 15-22 or Ruger 10-22 to shame.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Liked 282 Times in 181 Posts

If your Grands play video games , call of duty , they will like the AR platform of the 15-22 my grandson has loved mine / ours / his from the time I got it.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,326 Posts

I spent too many summers as a range officer at a Scout Camp. Much time (too much) was spent getting good old Southern kids to learn to follow orders and shoot well, in spite of what Dad told them / armed them with.

Start small. Make every shot count. Go out for a day expecting to carefully aim 50 or 100 rounds, not spray 1000. An expert marksman knows the value of each shot, and can play a bit some days, but will come home proud of a good group. A kid with a machine gun just asks for more bricks.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Liked 355 Times in 163 Posts

ALLTHUMBS: hoc9se has the right idea. If you get them a semi, they'll just blast away w/out regard to accuracy. Let the kids work a lever-action & they'll value each shot & learn nostalgia. The Marlin 39-A has been around for over 100 years & 50 yrs. from now will fondly remember you & their 1st lever gun.
Hank M
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Liked 151 Times in 95 Posts

I was a pretty good shot at the Playland shooting gallery in the late 50's. I guess that's the reason my dad gave me a used Winchester Model 75 Sporter for my 10th birthday. We went to the local armory range every week like clockwork. We shot and shot and shot. We went to NRA Sub-Junior, and later, Junior Gallery Matches. I got as far as the 6th bar of my Junior Sharpshooter medal by the time I was 12. The rifle was just too light to shoot offhand.

My point is if any of these kids exhibit a fondness for the sport, get them a real rifle so that they can learn to shoot well.

Just a thought.
Richard
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

My grandfather taught me to shoot a single shot Stevens .22 which my dad says cost them something like $3.50 way back when. At age 13 or 14 my dad supported my purchase of a Remington Fieldmaster 572 which was used and I paid $45.00. I have now owned it for about 40 years and it still shoots great. I would add my vote for a simple single shot so the kids could focus on safety and shooting basics. There will be plenty of time for the AR type guns later in their life if they are interested. I can still remember taking my first few shots all those years ago. Keep it simple to fit their age and make them proud of the groups getting tighter as they practice. Enjoy them Sir! I want my "Pop" back (passed in 1976). Sweet times.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
Back in the dark ages when I was a kid, a lever action would have been just wonderful. Today? It depends on the kids. Most are constantly on their phones & playing games. For some, the "cool" factor of shooting a 15-22 might be a factor in getting their interest & keeping it.

Lots of things about the AR platform make it easier for a kid to shoot. An adjustable stock is really helpful for kids as is a pistol grip. A red dot is much easier to train than iron sights too.
Yeah, Chuck Conners in the Rifleman!!

You young one's can google it
Old 04-23-2015, 11:32 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang-Fire Hank View Post
ALLTHUMBS: hoc9se has the right idea. If you get them a semi, they'll just blast away w/out regard to accuracy.
I have to disagree with this, as it depends on the kid. I started my son with a single shot bolt action. He grew bored of shooting very quickly. I then moved him up to a 15-22 with a red dot. He instantly loved shooting again... this was a rifle like he saw on TV... He had no interest in the lever action "cowboy" guns. He wanted what the military and police carried!

Fast forward to today, at 16 his favorite .22 is an old Winchester pump his Grandfather pulled out of the safe and gave him. He is also fond of the Savage .17HMR bolt rifle when it comes for accuracy.

Point being, get a rifle that will get the child interested and hooked... they will come to appreciate the finer things as they get older.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Seems the debate is do you start with a single shot, and once you master that I'll let you "play" with a 15-22, or do you start where they "play" with the AR styled rifle and then once they gain an affinity for shooting, move them to the more accurate single shots?

I don't recommend doing something just because it worked for you 50 years ago. The kids of today are different. Generally, their attention span is much shorter & they need instant gratification and excitement. Look at the games they play. Guess you have to judge the kids. Most of the ones I've been around lately would benefit from starting with a 15-22 and then once they determine they enjoy shooting, allow them to learn the fine art of accuracy. Assuming they aren't training themselves, we can instruct them to not spray out bullets by the thousand... even when shooting a 15-22. Making a bouncing target, or soda can dance is great fun plus teaches accuracy & controlled shooting.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Liked 282 Times in 181 Posts

I started with a BB gun, don't laugh you could put an eye out with one of those things.
I've wanted to get my Grandson a pump up pellet gun for some time now but the news has scared his parents from letting him have anything that even comes close at all to resembling a real rifle. & , & I do understand. Almost got myself one for us to share when it looked like I would never see a box of 22lr again, went so far as to put it in the buggy & then it hit me after having the 15-22 neither one of us is going to want to pump 10 times between each shot.
I say buy yourself what you want & see if they take it away from you
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Liked 972 Times in 400 Posts

Start them with a .177 or .22 cal air rifle. Cheap, fun shooting where you can master marksmanship skill.

I would then consider graduating to a lever or bolt action .22. Number of great used rifles out there. Henry, Marlin come to mind as favorites.

Young kids starting to shoot I would stay away from the lead hose, as the tendency will be to shoot fast. Great for cover fire but given the ammo situations these days, maybe not the best choice.